What's new

Which to use for aimesh node ax58u or RP-ax58

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barkmarkin

Occasional Visitor
I just upgraded my ax58u to an AX88U Pro and I have an rp ax58 repeater as well, so I was wondering which one I should use as my other node The rp ax58 will be newer but I was wondering which is a faster option to pair with the 88u also considered the gt ax6000 but it's plain hideous and only thing it's got going for it over the 88u pro is the 2.4 ghz

Last edited:
I just upgraded my ax58u to an AX88U Pro and I have an rp ax58 repeater as well, so I was wondering which one I should use as my other node The rp ax58 will be newer but I was wondering which is a faster option to pair with the 88u also considered the gt ax6000 but it's plain hideous and only thing it's got going for it over the 88u pro is the 2.4 ghz

I'd try the RT-AX58U as wired node, if possible. If wireless backhauls, inspect the backhaul/node MAC connection details in the Wireless Log to discover how 'strong' the 2.4 and 5.0 backhaul connections are for your layout and chosen node.

OE

Last edited:
You have them both to hand why not just give it go? You've nothing to lose! For ease of use and the fact that it just sits in a plug socket, I'd go for the RP-AX58.

I'd try the RT-AX58U as wired node, if possible. If wireless backhauls, inspect the backhaul/node MAC connection details in the Wireless Log to discover how 'strong' the 2.4 and 5.0 backhaul connections are for your layout and chosen node.

OE
I'm using wired backhaul ofcourse with a tp link sg105e switch not gonna use smart features much tho but having Merlin for both is a plus and my connection is 1000mbps down 100up

I'm using wired backhaul ofcourse with a tp link sg105e switch not gonna use smart features much tho but having Merlin for both is a plus and my connection is 1000mbps down 100up

I believe Guest1 2.4/5.0 WLANs uses vlan tags 501/502... you may need to configure your smart switch. Only Guest1 WLANs sync to nodes.

ASUSWRT-Merlin is not required on nodes, but it might help ensure firmware version compatibility, whatever that can mean. Regardless, I would prove ASUSWRT AiMesh with your equipment before introducing Merlin.

OE

I believe Guest1 2.4/5.0 WLANs uses vlan tags 501/502... you may need to configure your smart switch. Only Guest1 WLANs sync to nodes.

ASUSWRT-Merlin is not required on nodes, but it might help ensure firmware version compatibility, whatever that can mean. Regardless, I would prove ASUSWRT AiMesh with your equipment before introducing Merlin.

OE
I just have it setup like unmanaged swirch default mode so it should be okay I guess