What's new

Which USB WiFi adapter for laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

womenwill

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I need an external, e.g. USB WiFi adapter to substitute my WLAN card on the laptop, which has some loose wires, you know the black and white wire from the screen to the WLAN card, and I have tried disassembling the laptop a couple of times, but the screws are worn, the inner casing is hard to come out etc.

As a result the wifi in the laptop is not working, unless I go few inches away from the router, which is not feasible.

Instead of doing further damage to the inners of the laptop, I'd rather spend the $20 or so and get the wifi back up and running

Which is a good USB WiFi adapter to get?

e.g something like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011T5IF06/?tag=snbforums-20

I have a PC and am running Windows 10

I am in the U.S.A

Thank you

Asus USB-AC68, D-Link DWA-192 are both a good choise if you have a AC router at home.

Hello pege63,

I have a PACE/ARRIS 5268AC FXN router, which is supplied by ATT.

I believe it is a DSL router? It says it supports ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, and VDSL2 technology. It has four wired Ethernet ports and 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless networking

Do you know if the adapters you suggest will work on these?

Are there are cheaper, and smaller options? i.e. I just want the USB part, I don't necessarily need the extra antennas etc.

Thank you

actually you can still get a good signal. Just tape the antenna to the card. I know what you mean by the antenna connector not locking and just hanging loosely. Use small but good tape that'd be sticky at high heat and thats water proof. Electrical tape is good too.

If it still doesnt work then go for a usb card. WLAN cards use less power over the PCIe bus compared to usb cards that require usb chips to be powered and CPU to use for the usb overhead. Its not much of a difference but it does matter. However if electrical tape doesnt work i can tell from experience that the asus and netgear AC1200 usb cards worked well from my testing and experience. Other brands do work well too but list it here so we can check.

Which is a good USB WiFi adapter to get?

Edimax has few USB wireless adapters at a good price... N150, N300, AC600, AC1200 (with MU special sauce even).

Most are Realtek based - and drivers are in Win10's update scheme...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!