What's new

Which VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With your Asus router use OpenVPN and/or Instant Guard.

A proper answer would need a lot more input. You may as well ask what flavour ice cream people like lol

Why do you want a vpn?
What functions do you want?
Where do you need servers to be located?
Where are you located?
Etc.

Personally, I use pia and ProtonVPN. They suit my requirements, speed needs and price range, but there are many just as good out there to choose from.

Just interested in what others are using that is all.
From what I seen here, I see alot of people using ExpressVPN, NordVPN and PIA. I currently use PIA. I've never had an issues. ExpressVPN can be on the expensive side. I might switch to NordVPN after my subscription is up with PIA. But, I've never had any issues with PIA. We'll see once it gets closer.

Some of these VPN providers offer a 30 free trial. You'll have to pay upfront but you can request a refund within the 30 days. It make take 3-5 days to get your $ back.

Best of luck.

Just interested in what others are using that is all.

But to give a decent answer, the key question is "for what do you want the VPN for?"

Is it to get around geo-fencing? To 'hide' activities from your ISP (for whatever reason)? To evade government snoops?

And, how many devices do you need the VPN for, what other features are important for you (i.e. do you need to do multi-country hops, advanced ad-block and malware protection built in etc). How important is performance vs cost?

Just asking 'what do you use' without understanding what lead some people to those decisions (or if they even considered anything at all) doesn't get you anywhere. Just google "best vpn 2021" and go pick one, same thing.

PIA used to be the go to choice for many users running VPN clients on ASUS/Merlin routers. In the past It used to be possible to routinely get speeds in excess of 200 Mbps on a PIA VPN client. With the more recent versions of Merlin's firmware this is no longer happening. PIA works well and is very reliable and seldom did a tunnel drop just not as fast as it used to be.

I have switched to StrongVPN and regularly get 150 - 170 Mbps on my AC86. Running WireGuard from Strong on my VPN appliance I get 460 Mbps on my over provisioned 400/20 connection from Comcast.

Don't really need a VPN, just asking, that's all.

Wirecutter recommend Mullvad, before that Tunnelbear and before that IVPN. Can't they make up their mind?

I’ve tried Nord, PIA (via a friend) and ExpressVPN. Of the three ExpressVPN is the most expensive ($100 a year) but also the fastest in my experience with some severs hitting over 250-300 Mbps and decent global server coverage. Nord for me was sometimes pretty slow but I think they have more servers across the globe compared to Express. Express definitely lived up to its online reputation. All three were fairly reliable connection wise.

I’m currently on PIA when needed as my friend has open slots and I couldn’t justify renewing ExpressVPN as I barely use VPN these days.

Last edited:
A proper answer would need a lot more input. You may as well ask what flavour ice cream people like lol

Why do you want a vpn?
What functions do you want?
Where do you need servers to be located?
Where are you located?
Etc.

Personally, I use pia and ProtonVPN. They suit my requirements, speed needs and price range, but there are many just as good out there to choose from.

I don't.
For use on / over public wifi
Good speed, reliable servers, severs in the middle east so I can access bein sports etc., so geo blocking overriding facilities
VPN with good reputation and transparent

Last edited: