What's new

Which Wi-Fi 6 router with 160MHz bandwidth support implements the best DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) mechanism?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lazer5

New Around Here
I need a wireless router that pairs nicely with an Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 wireless card. Dual stream (2x2) and dual band are sufficient.

This is for Europe, where you have two choices for placing the 160MHz wide channel, either at channels 36-64 (power limit 23dBm (200mW)) or channels 100-128 (power limit 30dBm (1000mW)).

Ideally I'd like to have the router to work like this: I configure the router to transmit the 5GHz Wi-Fi signal on channels 100-128. In case of a radar signal detection on those channels the router should temporarily switch to channels 36-64 and, once the regulatory waiting times have passed and the channel range 100-128 has been successfully re-checked for being free of radar activity, the router should switch back to my preferred channels 100-128.

While this sounds straightforward, it is apparently not so easy to implement for the manufacturers.

My problem is that router manufacturers don't tell you how they have implemented DFS and also product reviewers on the internet never go into detail how well a particular router's DFS works. So, as far as DFS is concerned, one ends up buying a pig in a poke.

I have already invested in two different Wi-Fi 6 160MHz AX3000-class routers, but both have let me down.

There is no router I know of that provides any control over how DFS is handled.

Switching back to channel(s) where radar detection has been triggered might not be a good strategy, BTW.

Thanks for the reply.

But why not? Unless one lives at a place that is very frequently exposed to radar signals I see no reason why switching back wouldn't be a good idea, especially if those channels provide other advantages, like being less crowded or higher permitted transmit power.

What's the point of having a router with 160MHz bandwidth support if it resorts to the four non-DFS channels 36-48 (in Europe) upon detecting a radar signal and then stays there forever? (until you reboot it)

Apparently years ago there have already been Wi-Fi 5 (AC) routers with sophisticated DFS channel management that may have come pretty close to the ideal solution.

If the radar trigger was an isolated event, sure, switching back would be good. But if you know you are in an area where radar is in use, then you're just in for more annoyance.

The small number of contiguous DFS channels is the reason DFS isn't commonly supported in AC routers. That, and the fact that the certification process is expensive.

DFS support seems to be more common in Wi-Fi 6 routers, even though they have access to the same channels. Wi-Fi 6E will make DFS support more practical.

IDL does have some nice technology. But they have been largely unsuccessful in getting companies to license it.

Of course, you could try limiting bandwidth to 40 MHz channels, which would provide more DFS channel switching options, at the expense of lower bandwidth. But unless you need 100's of Mbps bandwidth per device, which is not the usual case, the tradeoff could be worth it. Business and commercial networks that need to support many users generally run 5 GHz 40 MHz channels at most, and in many cases only 20 MHz.

Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 wireless card. Dual stream (2x2) and dual band i

change my toshiba dynabook i3 6gen laptop wifi card. i have archer ax50 tp link 3000 160mhz router.my connect router 5Ghz 160 channel to intel ax 200 .only work 1.2Gbit/s .not work 2404Mbps. why

Welcome to the forums @Genius.

Check the settings in the TP-Link. And be sure not to mess with the settings on the adaptor (if you have, uninstall, reboot, then re-install the driver again).

How many antenna leads did you (have available to) connect to the card? If only one, that's the best you can do.

If two antennas, then it's a distance / obstruction issue /if/ the access point is indeed broadcasting at 160MHz channel-bonding /and/ the computer is actually configured correctly (with two antenna leads and no options have been "selected" by hand).

The quickest thing you can do is "forget" the connection on the computer and re-establish it. If that doesn't get what you're looking for then you can start to look under different stones, as it were.