What's new

Why do I need 4 cores? (RT-AX86U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To be truthful, in my case since the RT-AX86U wasn't that expensive I get pleasure simply from the speedier access to the configuration screen when accessing from WAN, at least I am thinking the overall UI response is snappier, I could be wrong though....
I am on Gigabit and also mainly using the router for streaming and accessing the dedicated NAS.

If you have the budget for it, it's certainly not a bad decision. Always better to get better hardware than needed than getting something that is insufficient for your needs.

If you have the budget for it, it's certainly not a bad decision. Always better to get better hardware than needed than getting something that is insufficient for your needs.
@RMerlin, AMEN brother! Happy New Year 2021! Thank You for all the hard work you have put in through the years helping in these forums and with your AsusWRT-Merlin firmware releases.

Wishing Everyone in the SNB forums a Happy New Year! :D

Last edited:
The stimulus payment showed up in my checking account overnight. I'm going to donate some to the local food bank and some to Asus in exchange for an AX86U! Happy new year everyone!
Let us know where you find them in stock. Amazon has a seller with a price almost $100 higher than list!

Let us know where you find them in stock. Amazon has a seller with a price almost $100 higher than list!
I saw that. I expect it will be at least a month before the pipeline is stocked again. I've got a stock alert at B&H and when I get the email, I will buy it.

A local Canadian retailer had a 50$ rebate on the RT-AX86U that expired last night. That was weird, makes me wonder if maybe they applied the rebate to the wrong model. That same retailer had the RT-AC86U at a major discount a few years ago during Black Friday, so who knows.

ax88u for $400 and a low stock. insanity. I wonder if asus manufacturing is affected by covid or if they are just manufacturing too many models.

Last edited:
Almost bit on the ax86u..but my ac86u still going strong..may wait a bit to see what comes out this year from asus.

I think my pair of ac86u will serve me well for awhile. I don’t see any advantage for me of moving to the ax88u or ax86u, especially at their current pricing. It also seems as if the AC class routers are being “discarded“ with the AX platforms garnering all the attention. :)

Update to previous posts: The run on available stock of the RT-AX86U has escalated on Amazon U.S. ... at the time of this post only two third party vendors are selling with limited stock and the least expensive price starts at $378 USD and the fastest shipping is early February. Almost everywhere else is showing back ordered or out of stock. :oops:

Last edited:
Interesting to see that there is a shortage internationelly as well.

I just pulled the trigger on a AX86U myself but had a hard time finding one in stock here in Sweden. My favorite retailer that has all other Asus models doesnt even want to put it up for order.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that there is a shortage internationelly as well.

I just pulled the trigger on a AX86U myself but had a hard time finding one in stock here in Sweden. My favoriter retailer that has all other Asus models doesnt even want to put it up for order.

I was lucky to get mine during black week when Webhallen sold them at a SEK1000/USD120 discount. Should've bought two ;)

I was lucky to get mine during black week when Webhallen sold them at a SEK1000/USD120 discount. Should've bought two ;)

Thats a really good deal, sadly I was not quite ready to switch back to Asus from UBNT again back then (Final nail in the coffin was last week). But I think it is worth full price just to get a router I think I will like again

The AX86U is back in stock on Amazon U.S. sold by Amazon right now for $259.99 USD. Is this the new retail price (vs. $249 USD) due to the high demand?