What's new

Why should I move to Wi-Fi 6/6E?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsmiddleton4

Very Senior Member
In banging around to learn about this HT160 thing, of course takes one to next gen routers both AX and 6E, the value/performance equation for the R7800 is undeniable. Why would I bother spending so much MORE money on the next wave of routers?

In banging around to learn about this HT160 thing, of course takes one to next gen routers both AX and 6E, the value/performance equation for the R7800 is undeniable. Why would I bother spending so much MORE money on the next wave of routers?

Don't. Wait until you need it and will actually use it and can't live without it or have no other choice.

OE

If Wi-Fi 5 (AC) is working for you, there is no compelling reason to move right now. You need Wi-Fi 6 devices to take advantage of the standard's benefits. Same goes for 6E. 6E devices are not common now and it will take a year or two until smartphones and laptops have it. Longer probably for tablets.

My testing has shown none of the promised effects from OFDMA, the key technology in Wi-Fi 6/6E. This Qualcomm whitepaper shows you need a lot of devices presenting a heavy simultaneous load on a router to get a benefit.

6E does provide a practical benefit of more non overlapping channels and provides up to seven 160 MHz wide channels that are not in DFS frequencies.

Last edited: