What's new

Why use WRT Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Although I don't need all the features provided, I use Merlin because :

It works, it is well tested and stable.

If there are any issues Merlin is quick to deal with them.

Merlin is also supported by a community of very knowledgeable people, the help and information on this site are better than you could find anywhere else.

You know you have the correct firmware for your router, there are too many "official" versions around.

You have nothing to lose, if you don't like it you can flash in something else.

Well said. When there are knobs, curious and ambitious individuals want to touch every of those and see how things play out until they get burned.

Luckily I passed beyond that kind of curiosity (..mostly..) :D

I would love to see the statistics on how many routers Tomato and DD-WRT have helped to brick since their arrival on the firmware scene! ;)

Nothing against either one of those platforms. I have used both and found them solid offerings, but I also saw a lot of potential booby traps lying in wait for the unsuspecting "twiddler". ;)

In fact, one of my favorite sections of those two community forums was the areas where those once overly confident wannbe router experts came to seek guidance when their latest "experiment" with the "advanced" settings section didn't turn out quite like they planned! lol! Its not like I enjoyed seeing another geek's screwup on full display, although there were a few times when a particular "know-it-all" stepped in it pretty deep and I must admit I did derive a certain amount pleasure from their misfortune. ;)

Does that make me a jerk? ;) Perhaps, but I just couldn't help myself! lol! :D

Does Merlin include fixes added to the Asus firmware that is regularly updated?

If so, what is the disadvantage of running Merlin firmware over stock?

Does Merlin include fixes added to the Asus firmware that is regularly updated?

If so, what is the disadvantage of running Merlin firmware over stock?

Please, go read the sticky threads (threads that are always at the top) in the AsusWRT-merlin sub-forum and/or the RMerlin wiki on github. Also, search/browse this forum, because you are the umpteenth person to ask.

Beyond that, I struggle to find reasons that someone should not use merlin's fork. The fact that merlin has no legal responsibility while Asus does, might be a negative (or a positive).

I stay with RMerlin mostly because of the helpful forum members here. Not to keen on Asus going more and more closed source, forcing fcc compliance on all, so in 5-10 years when time to upgrade the router I will go with home brew box with pfsense (unless Asus stops going closed source and opens stuff up, so dev like RMerlin can make it better for us).