1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Why You Don't Need MU-MIMO

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Oct 18, 2017.

1. glugglug

glugglug Occasional Visitor

On my network are a Galaxy S6 Edge+ and a OnePlus 5T, both of which claim MU-MIMO support. Also a recently retired Galaxy S7 Edge.

After reading this article, I'm wondering... should I be disabling MU-MIMO on the RT-AC88U?

The OnePlus, at least, is consistently getting a 866Mbps link rate.

2. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

No need to wonder. Try an experiment and see.

3. glugglug

glugglug Occasional Visitor

Tested, seems to depend on the device.

OnePlus 5T gets 866Mbps link speed reguardless of the router MU-MIMO setting.
    Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge+ and Galaxy 7 Edge both drop to 433Mbps when MU-MIMO is enabled. However, the Android WiFi Speed Test is getting slightly better results with it *enabled* on the Galaxy S7 Edge even with the lower link rate (but horrible either way). I think there might be a latency improvement when it switches to only use 1 stream. My ping times to android devices are horrible (many > 100ms!) while I'm getting 1-2ms to Chromecasts and Rokus.

4. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Thanks for posting the results. You are seeing results similar to those in the ariticle, i.e. might help a little bit, regardless of fallback to single stream.

5. avtella

avtella Very Senior Member