What's new

Wi-Fi calling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The uPNP / port forwarding was for old implementations mostly.

Yes, might still be needed for VoIP apps, and consider SIP-ALG also.

Depends there on the application in use.

Anyways, sounds like OP got things working.

and VoLTE is ipv6 first, ipv6 native.
I so very badly want to use the Mandalorian "This Is The Way," but know there are those who will swarm and defend the IPv4 Empire if I do.

Do a network reset on your iphone. Set your wifi password back in as it will forget all networks you've been connected to. (Turn off MAC Randomization "Private wifi address" if you want) Turn back on wifi calling. Make sure your cellular network is set to your carrier; when on automatic if roaming wifi calling may not work on all carrier partners doesn't matter if you get no signal on your carrier if set to your carrier wifi calling should work. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204051

View attachment 48669
No - just... no

This could be a network thing higher up (i.e. your cable/fiber/whatever internet gateway), but I've had wifi calling issues for years.
Oftentimes I have to force airplane mode for wifi calling to work.
Turning WiFi calling off - even when I speak with the network providers - helps for a couple weeks but then issues come back.
I now have AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile - and issues persist across all networks, and devices (iOS - 5 of them, Android, and Mac - which can do WiFi calling).

I so very badly want to use the Mandalorian "This Is The Way," but know there are those who will swarm and defend the IPv4 Empire if I do.

From the Wiki:

However, Mandalore's traditionalist minority was eventually defeated during the war, being exiled to Mandalore's moon of Concordia. While the Death Watch, a traditionalist group under Mand'alor Pre Vizsla, wished to retake their homeworld, the Old Mandalorians scattered across the galaxy as mercenaries.

It didn't go well for Mandalorians. :)

From the Wiki:

However, Mandalore's traditionalist minority was eventually defeated during the war, being exiled to Mandalore's moon of Concordia. While the Death Watch, a traditionalist group under Mand'alor Pre Vizsla, wished to retake their homeworld, the Old Mandalorians scattered across the galaxy as mercenaries.

It didn't go well for Mandalorians. :)
you must have notifications turned on for when I post.
(and that story is evolving...the current season might have some surprises in store causing an update to that wiki)

LOL - Darth Tech9

Remember - the Empire is coming to your area every Friday. Local Mandalorians - better run.

I can show mercy only of they offer me Toblerone. No need to explain why it's my favorite food.

The reason why VoLTE went IPV6 first has to do with the structure of the carrier networks in IPV4 space, where there is a huge amount of NAT'ing to conserve address space over on the Radio Access Network - you'll find a lot of 10'dot's and 172.16.0.0/12 ranges out there - made sense for a long time, until LTE came along with persistent connections, and then the IMS bearers, which cannot drop as the mobile moves thru the network.

Once the IMS core was set up, getting WiFi connectivity over L2TP was almost a no brainer - even over IPv4 for those that would rather not have IPv6 inside their LAN - one can tunnel the IPv6 thru the IPv4 connection.

The wireless operators, at least here in the US, have really led the way on IPv6 as a preferred transport over IPv4.

Sometimes a reboot of your phone can be enough. But honestly well annoying to reconnect to your devices it does reset a number of things such as wifi calling and is a typical go to support step from Apple. If this was an Apple support call I would have attempted 6 things.

-Verify if they can make calls or text over cellular. And if wifi works.

-Toggle wifi calling, reboot device, modem, router.

-Network reset on iPhone

-Offer them to attempt wifi calling on another network.

-Give options to refer to isp or router manufacturer or carrier depending on likely cause.

-If call returns to us backup data and Full reset of iPhone.

No bells and whistles to adjust on the iPhone beyond general on/off’s so beyond additional diagnostic reports from the phone to see if components are functioning it’d be beyond scope normally from Apple.

Router wise number of things can cause wifi to stop working if NAT passthrough wasn’t working but personally I’d troubleshoot it similar verify, research, narrow down issue, resolve, refer or reset/downgrade/upgrade.

Firewall could be a possible issue such as skynet set to geoblock a country or associated ASN to Apple or a data center that caused a false flag and was blocked either via malware lists or by a user; this could cause similar issues. I only say that knowing the issue involves a Asus Merlin router though.

But yeah Upnp would have been something to attempt although not something I’ve heard required before. But I agree least evasive steps first to preserve data, and time.

Anyways glad he got it working.

Yeah that's why its always an absolute last step to call the carrier or phone maker. Factory reset of the phone when it was working fine until they upgraded their router software? C'mon. That's not troubleshooting that's following a lazy script.

The reason why VoLTE went IPV6 first has to do with the structure of the carrier networks in IPV4 space, where there is a huge amount of NAT'ing to conserve address space over on the Radio Access Network - you'll find a lot of 10'dot's and 172.16.0.0/12 ranges out there - made sense for a long time, until LTE came along with persistent connections, and then the IMS bearers, which cannot drop as the mobile moves thru the network.

Once the IMS core was set up, getting WiFi connectivity over L2TP was almost a no brainer - even over IPv4 for those that would rather not have IPv6 inside their LAN - one can tunnel the IPv6 thru the IPv4 connection.

The wireless operators, at least here in the US, have really led the way on IPv6 as a preferred transport over IPv4.

IPv6 is heavily in use on Cellular and also ISP/cable management of their devices.

One of the first major rollouts of v6 was comcast converting all their modems/routers/cable boxes to v6 for management, nearly/over a decade ago. Got them hundreds of thousands of v4 IPs back for their DHCP pools for customers.

Honestly it is a great use of v6, completely private network not facing the internet at all (in both the LTE and management cases).

Seems like this isn't the way - not yet:

That's a Samsung chipset specific issue - better be fixed soon, as disabling VoLTE turns off all voice calling here in the US - there is no 3g to fallback on.

Since many of the more recent Pixel phones have Samsung LTE/5G baseband/modems, a fix is likely due very shortly...

Since many of the more recent Pixel phones have Samsung LTE/5G baseband/modems, a fix is likely due very shortly...
Already fixed in the March security update that was released.

Yeah that's why its always an absolute last step to call the carrier or phone maker. Factory reset of the phone when it was working fine until they upgraded their router software? C'mon. That's not troubleshooting that's following a lazy script.

That’s apple for you. You stay within your scope, you can identify the problem is either their device or another. If it’s a router not our problem if the knowledge base refers to vendor. I’ve moved on since going above and beyond to help only got me ever additional training. Lol

Yeah a full factory reset was a pretty lazy solution, but a common one. Was more or less a Hail Mary lol. Otherwise depending on the issue it’s left as a bug report with likely no ETA.

Last edited:
I wouldn't revert back to 386.3_2 unless you have the ICMP issues. Lower speeds is not a symptom of the issue. If you have the ICMP issue, the symptoms are clients losing IPv6 configuration and/or clients not able to ping each other through IPv4 or IPv6 after the router is up for a couple of days especially traffic between hardwired clients and wifi clients. The issue may cause communication issues between clients depending on what they need to do. I will report back here in a couple of days if I need to revet back.
After running 386.10 for five days, It looks like 386.10 still has the ICMP and intra client connectivity issues.