What's new

Wi-Fi Ping Spikes: Causes and Fixes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Great article Tim. Curious who Dennis Bland is though? Was he the author of the article, or you?

Oops! Sorry, I saw your name at the top of the article, skipped the intro, and just saw the bio at the bottom. Thanks.

This was a great article. One of the suggested features to check — automatic channel selection — was enabled on my AX88U. I was having intermittent severe latency on the 2.4GHz channel: we're talking several seconds where packets would not go through, followed by a flood of extremely late packets (5+ seconds). Occasionally devices would drop off the network entirely, necessitating a reboot of the device or the router to resolve.

The 2.4GHz network is *only* used for Smart Home devices (IoT) that don't support 5GHz.

To increase network stability I set a fixed channel, reduced the bandwidth to 20MHz, and limited the protocol to 802.11g/n only (no 11b). These changes have reduced a lot of the random dropouts and latency spikes. My Twinkly Christmas lights are much more responsive now!

I have Smart Connect enabled for now, but I plan to turn it off soon.

Hey ... the link shown at the top of this thread is giving me "Page not found" ... could we get that article back please?

Wi-Fi ping spikes aren't always caused by a poor connection. Your router settings could be to blame. Read on SmallNetBuilder.
Wifi Ping Spikes generally occur when two devices transmit data at once. At that time, many packets collide with each other and as it results, you get ping spikes. To fix it, try to use a wired connection while transmitting the packet. Due to that, the chances of packet loss are none.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!