What's new

Wi-Fi Privacy warning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Starym

Occasional Visitor
Hey, I just noticed on my phone that my wi-fi network is marked with a "Privacy warning". It says "This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic". I haven't changed any settings for a long time, how would I go about to fixing this?

I'm running 386.3 on RT-AX88U

Also for some reason in network Map, it says my internet status is disconnected even though it's not, everything seems to be working fine.

Cloudflare having issues again?

You have "Prevent client auto DoH" enabled. This forces the web browser to use traditional DNS. This exposes the DNS requests from your client to your router to snooping if there are people on your network that do it. Your router then encrypts the DNS request before sending it off to 1.1.1.1 which if you are lucky will be Cloudflare.

Morris

You have "Prevent client auto DoH" enabled. This forces the web browser to use traditional DNS. This exposes the DNS requests from your client to your router to snooping if there are people on your network that do it. Your router then encrypts the DNS request before sending it off to 1.1.1.1 which if you are lucky will be Cloudflare.

Morris
But the privacy warning is under wireless settings on the phone like it's a connection issue, not a browser issue.

Phone is probably testing if web portal on WiFi connection and thus a browser

Morris

If your‘e talking about an Apple ‘idevice’, doing a reset of the device’s network settings helped me when I once got that warning.

Issue seems to have resolved by itself. I didn't change anything. Might have been Cloudflare issue like @bbunge suggested earlier.
Sure thing. I noticed your router said it was disconnected (one sign of DNS failure). And the warning from your DoH enabled device. Many do not know that DoH relies on "normal" DNS to find the DoH upstream resolver. Even though you have IP addresses for the DNS servers, those are anycast addresses and your ISP can have issues with their anycast system that routes packets to a valid DNS server IP address. On the morning you reported problems I checked https://www.thousandeyes.com/outages/ and there were several outages that could have caused you problems. There is not much one can do when that hits other than to wait it out. In spite of what other recommend there are no changes you need to make.

Started receiving this after a recent firmware update on ZenWiFi ET8. If I choose to "forget this network" and reconnect the warning disappears but the next day it's there again. I used to have google there but just changed to Cloudflare.

All the "smart services" that analyze the traffic are disabled, they used to trigger this warning before but I disabled all of them and withdrew the permissions to forward any of my data to third parties.

Screen shot 2022-02-01 at 23.41.19.png

Started receiving this after a recent firmware update on ZenWiFi ET8. If I choose to "forget this network" and reconnect the warning disappears but the next day it's there again. I used to have google there but just changed to Cloudflare.

All the "smart services" that analyze the traffic are disabled, they used to trigger this warning before but I disabled all of them and withdrew the permissions to forward any of my data to third parties.

View attachment 39165
Try rebooting your client device/s.

It seems Cloudflare helped and I don't see this warning anymore. So I guess that was my ISP.