What's new

Wi-Fi Signal Strength RT-AC86U v RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How odd!
Well going by your success I've just requested a replacement for mine, so fingers crossed I get the same result!
Thanks for keeping us up to date!

So got my replacement AX88U rev A1.1 made in china with firmware 3.0.0.4.384
Updated to newest firmware and can say it is waaaay better now, no problem reaching out to the garage with 2,4ghz now. Seems like it was a faulty unit.
I'm not sure where you are located, but I wonder if the wifi country settings are the same?

I am UK based and my RT-AX88U has the country set to Germany (DE)

UK here.
On a sticker, mine says made in China. I didn't know there was any other reference to country?

Finland, How or where do I find the Country code?
If you're able to SSH into the router you can use the command
Code:
wl country

UK here.
On a sticker, mine says made in China. I didn't know there was any other reference to country?

Regardless of where the hardware is manufactured, the router capabilities are territory specific. So, for example, a router designated for the UK will have different channels available to use and signal strength specs than a router designated for another country and so on.

Mine also says

DE (DE/963) GERMANY

Shouldn't it be set to the UK in my case?

Have a look into the German and UK wireless radio specs to see if they're different. Perhaps they're the same standard, or the retailer you bought the unit from isn't procuring or supplying UK models. Just as a guess.

Shouldn't it be set to the UK in my case?
No. "DE" is commonly used to as an alternative to "EU" as theoretically WiFi regulations are harmonised throughout the EU countries. Otherwise Asus would have to make individual models for every single EU country (at additional expense) for no good reason.

How odd!
Well going by your success I've just requested a replacement for mine, so fingers crossed I get the same result!
Thanks for keeping us up to date!
Please keep us posted.

Received replacement today, tested side by side and sadly NO improvement seen (no better, no worse)!

So I'm at a loss why @GarrHaal saw the improvement they did...

@Ninko you'll have to provide more info of how you tested them 'side by side'.

Seems the specific configuration is possibly causing the issue. You need to fully/properly reset and test step-by-step. :)

I did reset both, both with the latest firmware, same WiFi settings... No difference between them, not really sure what else you want me to say.

@Ninko are you looking at signal strengths?
@GarrHaal never said that the signal strength was better, they just that they could connect from their garage with the new router, so may not be the same issue with the 2.4Ghz channel.

Sorry, @Ninko I guess you've said all you want.

But from here, my crystal ball isn't working and I don't think anyone else's is either. 'Latest' firmware and 'same WiFi' settings doesn't tell anyone, much. Let alone let us know which router you're talking about.

@KrispiL Yes signal strength.
Regarding @GarrHaal, I made the assumption that as their signal was traveling further, their signal must be stronger at source.

@L&LD I appreciate your not having problems with your router but other people clearly are and from where I'm sitting all you've done during this thread is be difficult rather then help anyone. You've clearly got nothing to say that's going to help so why do you keep getting involved?

Reactions: ksa
Huh? How can anyone help if your responses are so cryptic?

"Let alone let us know which router you're talking about."

What router do you think I'm referring to, how many pages has this thread been going on for?...

@Ninko I suspect my unit AX88U had bad antennas or soldering. Cause when I disconnected antennas it made no difference in signal strenght on 2,4. Now I havent tested with my new unit, dont dare yet when its working fine now. Difference is alot on my side, but could be better on 2,4. But I'm happy it works all the the to the garage now.
I did only firmware update instant, didn't touch any wifi settings. Everything is original. Hopefully you get yours resolved or fixed.

Edit
Btw only ssid i did actually setup new, didnt use my old one

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!