What's new

Wi-Fi Signal Strength RT-AC86U v RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you went back and ran Merlin firmware 384.14, fully reset everyting , whats your range then?
Can you try it?
Range issue is present on 384.14 as well, you have to go back all the way back to 384.12 to see the difference.

How does that explain the 'normal' range on my RT-AX88U with the latest RMerlin 384.17_0 release final?

Could this be an actual hardware failure on some models? By this, I don't mean a physical failure. Rather, a substitution of a chip/part inside that the latest firmware doesn't account for properly?

That could explain why going back 'works' and for others, moving forward works better. :)

This has absolutely nothing to do with Asuswrt-Merlin, so I'm moving this to a more appropriate forum.

Attachments

• 5E0FDFAD-9393-45D2-B33C-7C4DDE85224D.jpeg
    5E0FDFAD-9393-45D2-B33C-7C4DDE85224D.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
ested with WiFi Analyzer Pro.

You are then measuring the router's output signal, not the client's output signal. Routers output at a higher power level than your laptop does, hence client-measured signals will be stronger. But that won't extend both ways.

If you have to put the device right on top of your router, might as well use an Ethernet cable... And also note this is on the 2.4 GHz band. I'm referring to realistic usage scenario.

Yes, that FireTV is setting about a foot away from my router. I do have an ethernet adapter for it but unfortunately, if I have the Firestick 4K on the LAN adapter, I am unable to use my Echo Studio as a Home Theater paired speaker. It only works if both the Firestick and the Studio are on wifi. My post was just an attempt at humor.... guess it failed. :)
On a serious note, my 86U has a really good wifi signal, just not quite enough to reliably penetrate the 4 walls and 70 feet to my new Man Cave, hence the AiMesh 1900P located in the extra bedroom adjacent to it.

So what should we do? Wait for Asus to fix 2.4 signal/range or is it considered faulty

Last edited:
So what should we do? Wait for Asus to fix 2.4 signal/range or is it considered faulty
Get a Netgear R7800 and put Voxel's FW or OpenWrt on it ;-)

Last edited:
Newbie here getting lost reading this long thread! Sorry :(

So... is there a consensus over wireless range/speed of AX88U and AC86U? if we only look at 5GHz and ignore all other features or firmware differences. Thanks in ahead!

Just going by how many have this problem, I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem.
Expected a lot from the 88, but ended up disappointed :(
Sent it back and got a refund.

Tried a Netgear R7800 on Voxel's and OpenWrt (works nice):),
Currently running 2 Netgear R7000's on Xwrt working in AiMesh (works nicer):):)

Last edited:
Currently running 2 Netgear R7000's on Xwrt working in AiMesh (works nicer)

And also illegal, as you are running unlicensed Asus software on unauthorized hardware.

Got answer from Asus support, they claimed it is a faulty unit. Sending it back. Ax88u
Serious???:confused:
Like to know how Asus handles this and the follow up. Still believe it's a potential great router.
Please keep us informed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!