What's new

Wi-Fi to LAN converter recommendations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

octopus

Part of the Furniture
Wondering what your recommendations are.
I have a printer with a LAN port but want a wifi to lan converter to connect to my regular network.
Preferably an AC/AX converter since the router is as my signatur shows.

Open to your suggestions.
Thanks!

Wondering what your recommendations are.
I have a printer with a LAN port but want a wifi to lan converter to connect to my regular network.
Preferably an AC/AX converter since the router is as my signatur shows.

Open to your suggestions.
Thanks!
If you have a spare or previously used AC router set it up as a media bridge and then let it make the connection. Will probably work better than a piece of equipment sold for this function as it will have better radios and bigger antennas.

Essentially you're talking about a wireless ethernet bridge. There have been a few posts asking about this sort of device. There used to be dedicated devices like this 10+ years ago but they fell out of favour. The same function can sometimes now be found in more general purpose devices.

Asus routers have "media bridge" which does the same thing. But that's rather an expensive option if you only want to connect one device. Is it only the printer that you need to connect to your Wi-Fi?

A cheaper option, for a single device, might be a range extender (e.g. RE550). These devices have one or two ethernet ports and sometimes you can disable the "repeated" Wi-Fi if you don't need that.

Even cheaper might be a Mini/Travel Router from GL.iNet. One of their devices in "repeater mode" might work. I don't know for sure so check their documentation before purchasing. link

Last edited:
If you have a spare or previously used AC router set it up as a media bridge and then let it make the connection. Will probably work better than a piece of equipment sold for this function as it will have better radios and bigger antennas.
I understand how you think, but there is a reason why I want a lan - wifi adapter.

Essentially you're talking about a wireless ethernet bridge. There have been a few posts asking about this sort of device. There used to be dedicated devices like this 10+ years ago but they fell out of favour. The same function can sometimes now be found in more general purpose devices.

Asus routers have "media bridge" which does the same thing. But that's rather an expensive option if you only want to connect one device. Is it only the printer that you need to connect to your Wi-Fi?

A cheaper option, for a single device, might be a range extender (e.g. RE550). These devices have one or two ethernet ports and sometimes you can disable the "repeated" Wi-Fi if you don't need that.

Even cheaper might be a Mini/Travel Router from GL.iNet. One of their devices in "repeater mode" might work. I don't know for sure so check their documentation before purchasing. link
Thanks for your suggestion, I have looked at the RP-AX58 what do you think of it? Can also be connected to my Aimesh network.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion, I have looked at the RT-AX58 what do you think of it? Can also be connected to my Aimesh network.
I have no personal experience of that device. The specs say that it can be configured as a media bridge or an AiMesh node so it appears to do what you want.

Last edited:
I have 2x Linksys E5400 routers used for this purpose. They have Bridge Mode in firmware and are very small in size. Fast Ethernet ports, really basic and reliable device, often on sale for about $30. Amazon, BestBuy, even Walmart. It's actually more stable than Asus' Media Bridge. This thing:

1707944993120.png

There's a few Router/AP's that have the "media bridge" capability either direct with their Firmware, or third parties like DD-WRT.

One of my all-time favs was the Buffalo WLI-TX4-AG300N, which was a dedicated media bridge... it had its quirks, but I still have one sitting in my media center...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!