What's new

Wifi 2.4Ghz problems on 1900P (Merlin 384.19)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amd7674

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I don't remember having this issues in past, but now it seems every few days I have to reboot the router in order to fix / improve it.
Even though clients look they are connected, the internet is not working. It takes few disconnects/connects on wifi clients in order to fix it ~OR~ I have to reboot the router.
It seems like a firmware issue (memory leak) or something. Also sometimes wifi clients are having problems to connect to the router.

The hardwired connections seems to be fine.

Should I restore the router and go back to 384.18 or latest stock firmware?

This seems to be very familiar with https://www.snbforums.com/threads/strange-issue-with-2-4ghz-wifi-on-rt-ac86u.65784/

It is very hard to do any testing/changes as everyone in my household depends on internet (work, school and entertainment) :-(

Any help would be much appreciated. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Let's begin at the beginning. See if any of the pertinent suggestions below help.

You may also want to update your signature.

Also, I would flash the latest @john9527 RMerlin fork for your RT-N66U too.

And, if you flashed to 384.19_0 without doing a full reset, when was the last time you did so (without immediately afterward using a saved backup config file)?

You will likely get lots of recommendations.
As a starting point set the 2.4 GHZ to a fixed channel 1, 6, or 11 at 20 MHZ bandwidth. Set the 5 GHZ to channel 36 or 149 at 80 MHZ bandwidth. I recommend using the same SSID for both 2.5 and 5 GHZ with all letters and the passphrase letters and numbers. No special characters in either! Leave all the other WIFI settings at default. Disable WPS.
A hard factory reset may be the way to get there.
You may want to try the 386.1 alpha 3 for the AC68U but be advised you may have to set the /jffs to be reformated after flashing.

Let's begin at the beginning. See if any of the pertinent suggestions below help.

You may also want to update your signature.

Also, I would flash the latest @john9527 RMerlin fork for your RT-N66U too.

And, if you flashed to 384.19_0 without doing a full reset, when was the last time you did so (without immediately afterward using a saved backup config file)?
thanks for your feedback :) I was always doing a dirty upgrade. Should I factory rest it and redo all my settings from scratch?

this is my RAM and NVRAM/JFFS usage.

router-01.jpg

I don't use n66u anymore. I removed it from my signature.

Please advise.

Last edited:
You will likely get lots of recommendations.
As a starting point set the 2.4 GHZ to a fixed channel 1, 6, or 11 at 20 MHZ bandwidth. Set the 5 GHZ to channel 36 or 149 at 80 MHZ bandwidth. I recommend using the same SSID for both 2.5 and 5 GHZ with all letters and the passphrase letters and numbers. No special characters in either! Leave all the other WIFI settings at default. Disable WPS.
A hard factory reset may be the way to get there.
You may want to try the 386.1 alpha 3 for the AC68U but be advised you may have to set the /jffs to be reformated after flashing.
I only use 2.4Ghz network, 5Ghz is disabled. The DNSFilter is disabled. Below screenshots are from my current settings. I've removed SSID name.

Please let me know if you guys see any problems with my settings.

router-02.jpg

router-03.jpg

router-04.jpg

router-05.jpg

Hi,

Anyone sees anything wrong with any of my current settings RAM/VRAM/JFFS usage?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!