What's new

Wifi 5g-2 problem on asus rt-ac5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sucka

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
i just bought an asus ac5300 and have a somehwat problem after loosing 3 hour just to test it is not a hardware problem.
On any firmware version of merlin or stock i had no second 5ghz wifi scanable, tried all settings and combinations and nothing, and then, it hit me, found out i have to wait 10 minutes - 10 minutes and a half to get to see my second 5g wifi. Smartconnect never enters it so i had to set separae ssid's and wait the 10 minutes just to be able to connect to it and see it working.

Is it normal to wait 10 minutes to see wifi 5g2? I mean is it a known bug, as normal is not that's for sure.
And under what ciscumstances does smartconnect pushes clients to wifi 5g2?

Thanks!

normal it is not but you dont see the separate channels under smart connect

with it disconnected you see all 3 as long as you have named them differently

And under what ciscumstances does smartconnect pushes clients to wifi 5g2?

generally this will depend on the client and how it identifies its self to the router

whats the make and model of your client wireless adapter

Hey, thanks.
On my rt-ac3200 i see all channels separate as 2.4, 5 channel 36 for example and channel 116 on 5. I am scanning using android wifi analyzer and inssider on windows and on ac3200 all 3 radios are viewable no matter what, here on ac5300 after boot or any saved settings that resets the wifi it takes 10 minutes to see 2nd 5g radio, the one in 116 channel, though in router's gui everything seems fine.

And i have tested with a note4, note 5, iphone 6s plus, asus maxmus viii extreme wifi and other junky n type tablets and laptops. Test with smartcinnect triband, smartconnect normal and no smartconnect and same thing, no mattter what wifi settings, i get on scan 2nd radio after 10 mins.

My fear is that it's not software problem but hardware, and to know if it's doa or no to request a new one.

Thanks.

and channel 116 on 5.

now be aware some adapters wont see channels between ch 48 and ch 144

i always use ch 153 for 5 gig upper and ch 44 for 5 gig lower

so try ch 153 and see what happens ( obviously depends on where you are in the world and what wifi regs the country uses

Yap, i know that, tried all channels and all security types and all variation of setting in professional tab. No matter what settings or channels it always does the same, and i have all channels visible on my devices, if my note smartphones wouldn't, the pc wifi would of seen more.
Thanks

I have this too and I have found ASUS_5G-2 takes 5- 20 mins to show up in any SSID scanning app/device IF you leave it on auto channel detection
I tested with windows phone,surface,3pc's and 2 Xboxes all show the same time delay

It takes 1-2 minute to show up if you assign it a channel I use 132 but tested with 100 as well

I think it defaults to 80mhz can see this on merlins FW and so 100 132 are start of boundaries for 80mhz anyways I am a nooob

Kinda sux but seems solid when it decides to show up ( I use this 5G-2 for non essential gaming like Xboxes that don't need to attach fast and 5G-1 for pcs that need instant connections

Last edited:
Is it normal to wait 10 minutes to see wifi 5g2? I mean is it a known bug, as normal is not that's for sure.

In DFS channels - yes, because the AP has to monitor the channel for a while to see if their are Radars and other non-wifi transmitters in the channel - if the channel passes the DFS check, then it will enable the transmitter, not before then...

In DFS channels - yes, because the AP has to monitor the channel for a while to see if their are Radars and other non-wifi transmitters in the channel - if the channel passes the DFS check, then it will enable the transmitter, not before then...
Thank you for that explanation it was getting me down thinkin I had defective hardware :¬)

Haha, but on the first firmware that the router came, it didn't do that , it was version 3.0.0.4.380_753.
Everything newer does this, and i have the ac3200 and it didn't do that, that's why i thought it is a firmware bug, as i put an rma on the first ac5300 i bought beeing scared it is hardware fault too, and on the second one saw the same manifest.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Haha, but on the first firmware that the router came, it didn't do that , it was version 3.0.0.4.380_753.
Everything newer does this, and i have the ac3200 and it didn't do that, that's why i thought it is a firmware bug, as i put an rma on the first ac5300 i bought beeing scared it is hardware fault too, and on the second one saw the same manifest.

Thanks! :)
Ahh ok could be FW bug or fix then - but I can live with 2-3 mins for ASUS_G-2 to lock onto channels 100 or 132 very happy with router so far (touch wood)

well for me it takes 10 mins and 30 seconds every time after boot or each wifi settings change or anything that causes wifi restart.
For the momment it is ok, but it still bugs me. :))

When I get new devices I go straight to web sites for drivers and updates ignoring the media in the boxes - but I still think I booted it OOTB to make sure it was not dead and I'm sure I saw ASUS-5-2 come up fast

maybe they fixed a ASUS_5-2 frequency scanning bug in later firmware's and got a little bit over cautious with the timings

would be nice to get more info on this but I'm sure we are ok

weird no one else really cares about this though :¬)

hmm that's weird, i tested all firmwares including merlin's and now on latest beta 2 merlin. Did not experience that, or maybe one time when i experienced a weirdness that after pressing factory reset, before rebooting i saw 5g-2, well we'll see what the future brings, i reported the bug to asus support too. If it is a bug, hope it will dissappear soon, at least everything works in rest, and it's a minor problem.

And yes it is weird so little have interest in this, maybe too little people are so nitpicky, but as i want the best and pay for it an equal sum, i expect everything perfect or maybe people do not use wifi scanners. :)

I have the same issue. Right out of the box, #2 shows up real fast.
After I updated to the latest flash, nothing. I get no #2 at all. The channels while on auto show 0 on #2 and on #3, I see Undefined. the 2.4 works just fine. Been on email and chat with Customer service. I would of liked to downgrade if possible to the 3.0.0.4.380_753 that you noticed out of the box. But they do not go that low. I am guessing it would brick my router again anyhow. The top 2 flashes are the only ones that do not brick my router.

Guess Time will tell. My 5G is running dog shirt slow compared to what it did out the box.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!