What's new

News WiFi 7 by 2024 for Intel equipped laptops.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Nice article! The (wireless) future's so bright, we got to wear shades! :)

I'm just happy Intel's working with Broadcom to ensure its Wifi 7 adapters will work with the new wireless standard. Now if only Microsoft could do the same with Windows...

Microsoft (Windows) supports the majority of third-party hardware. Quite well, I would say. Can't say the same for the other guys.

Agreed on most counts. Wish they'd make Wifi 6E support available on older Windows versions though. However, Microsoft is still lightyears ahead of Apple in the wireless adoption space. I'm primarily a Mac user so not being able to access the 160Mhz channels for Wifi 6/6E is a major annoyance. And even more so with the iPhone 14 range which was expected to launch with Wifi 6E onboard...and didn't.

In the MS world, WiFi 6E is only supported on a fully updated Windows 11 install. Does anyone know the reasons why? Is it just to save programming resources on MS' part (to backport the functionality)? Or are there some other technical/licensing reasons too?

Windows 10 does support Wifi 6e.

@thiggins was testing Wifi 6e stuff before Windows 11 even launched.

Microsoft is still lightyears ahead of Apple in the wireless adoption space.

Apple focuses on what works for their customers - plainly put, there's a lot of "cool stuff" they 'don't support' because it's either not time yet, or it's just not useful - MU-MIMO is a good example of Apple saying "no, we're not doing this".

Of course he was. Going forward, Windows 11 only.

Apple focuses on what works for their customers - plainly put, there's a lot of "cool stuff" they 'don't support' because it's either not time yet, or it's just not useful - MU-MIMO is a good example of Apple saying "no, we're not doing this".
I get Apple's rationale. It's a curated approach similar to 'omakase' Japanese fine dining where the chef determines each course in the meal based on seasonal ingredients to create the best experience for the diners. That's what drew me to macOS. Having said that, I also enjoy messing around with bleeding edge tech and the freedom to fully customise the user experience as and when I see fit. Therefore, I use a Wifi 6E-equipped Android phone and Windows laptop...paired to my AirPods Pro. Being brand-agnostic gives you a wider range of options IMHO.

I'm not brand-agnostic.

I use what works as I expect it to (and funny enough, that seems to come from the same group of companies, repeatedly).

I've bought (and subsequently sold) many Apple devices. All of them are too limiting for my taste.

Limiting, in what I'm allowed to do with them. Limiting in what I can do with them. And limiting in a performance sense.

Their best feature? Battery life.

But there are solutions for that too on the other side of the wall.

It's a curated approach similar to 'omakase' Japanese fine dining where the chef determines each course in the meal based on seasonal ingredients to create the best experience for the diners.

That's a good way to put things... curation

I'm fairly platform agnostic - everything from Macs to Chromebooks to my gaming machine running Win10...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!