What's new

Wifi as WAN Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A1010

New Around Here
I have a AC66U router with the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware installed on it. I have access to another wireless router connected to the internet. I would like to use this router's wifi as the WAN connection on my AC66U.

The end result I would like is for there to be a separate internal LAN network on the AC66U, not connected to the other router. Internet access would pass through the other router, similar to wireless bridging.

Basically, I'd like to have wireless bridging, but with each router having separate LANs and my AC66U having all of the usual config options (e.g. passthrough).

How would I go about setting something like this up?

I hope this is clear enough, let me know if I can clarify some areas.

I think what you are asking is if Asus routers can be configured in WISP (wireless Internet service provider) mode. There was an article on WISP in PCWorld about a year ago. I don't know the answer for Asus, but have seen adverts about routers that do support it. I think that dd-wrt firmware can be configured for “repeater” (unbridged), aka WISP (wireless ISP) router.
Even searching this and other Asus forums about WISP may help.

Yeah, the WISP mode sounds about right. PCWorld has a good description which outlines what I'd want.
In WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) mode, the device becomes a client to a wireless Internet service (such as a Wi-Fi hotspot) and shares that connection with its wireless clients.
I assumed there was no graphical way to do this Asuswrt-Merlin, but I would prefer to stick with that firmware instead of using dd-wrt. From looking around the forums, it seems that many people have had trouble finding a router to do this. I'll see what I can find in Merlin (through the command line), but I may have to end up moving to dd-wrt for this. Thanks for the information, it'll help to broaden my search results.