What's new

Wifi connection continuously cuts out - Router or Computer Issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sodaorseven

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have been having an issue I can't seem to fix. The wifi on my Macbook Pro keeps cutting out, about once every 10-20 minutes. Turning the wifi off and back on temporarily fixes the problem. My router is an ASUS RT-AX3000.

Here is a list of things I have tried so far:
  • Restart computer
  • Turn wifi on/off
  • Remove network and reconnect
  • Remove wifi service and reestablish (on my mac)
  • Rebout router
  • Factory restore of router
  • New SSID, new channels, new wifi password
  • Reset the PRAM & SMC (on my mac)
  • Updated the Mac OS to Big Sur (from Catalina)
  • Ran Wireless Diagnostics (on my mac)
Running Wireless Diagnostics initially finds nothing when the internet is working, but then when this happened it does detect a "Dropped Wi-Fi Connection", stating that:

Your Mac experienced an unexpected Wi-Fi connection drop, which can be caused by a combination of environment, configuration, and software problems.

Provide the diagnostics report created in /var/tmp to an AppleCare customer support representative for further analysis.

I looked into the logs, but am not really sure what I am looking at. And to make matters worse the applecare on this machine just expired.

Also worth noting that the network has been, and continues to work fine for all other devices (another macbook pro, two iphones, smart tv, etc.) and nothing major changed with the network before this occurred.

As of right now, the router was recently factory reset. The only thing I changed was SSID and passwords.

At this point, does this most likely seem like a router or a computer issue? Any tips on what to try next?

Thanks!

Did the problem start before you reset the router and changed SSID and password?
Do you have the problem on both bands?

Hello,

I have been having an issue I can't seem to fix. The wifi on my Macbook Pro keeps cutting out, about once every 10-20 minutes. Turning the wifi off and back on temporarily fixes the problem. My router is an ASUS RT-AX3000.

• Restart computer
  • Turn wifi on/off
  • Rebout router
Running Wireless Diagnostics initially finds nothing when the internet is working, but then when this happened it does detect a "Dropped Wi-Fi Connection", stating that:

I looked into the logs, but am not really sure what I am looking at. And to make matters worse the applecare on this machine just expired.

Also worth noting that the network has been, and continues to work fine for all other devices (another macbook pro, two iphones, smart tv, etc.) and nothing major changed with the network before this occurred.

As of right now, the router was recently factory reset. The only thing I changed was SSID and passwords.

At this point, does this most likely seem like a router or a computer issue? Any tips on what to try next?

Thanks!
What wifi channels are you using in your router

Did the problem start before you reset the router and changed SSID and password?
Do you have the problem on both bands?
The problem started about 2 days ago, but before that everything was working fine for about a year.

Originally the router was set to smart connect, so the computer was being put on the 5ghz band. But when I did the factory reset I tried both bands and unfortunately the issue was happening with both bands.

Hello,

• Restart computer
  • Turn wifi on/off
  • Rebout router

Thanks!

Feels like a MAC WiFi adapter issue. You could try reseating it and its antenna connection(s), or replacing it.

OE

Antenna connections, too?

OE
The antenna is not. I have looked into ordering one if I can't figure this out any other way.

However, a new development. I clean installed macos last night on the machine in question to make sure there wasn't some setting or preference files buried somewhere causing the issue, but unfortunately the issue still happened, dropped wifi connection after about 10 minutes. Then today I brought the machine into work (going into the office two days a week for covid) and everything has been working fine for hours. No wifi drops at all. So now I am thinking it must be the router.

2017 MacBook Pro 13" "Function Keys" - A1708/EMC 3164
Yeah, everything in that is soldered together. I know it's out of warranty, but you could still take it to an apple store and they could run some better diagnostics on it. Should be minimal charge for that. It would be odd for the wifi to go out in it though. But first...

SSID is not hidden correct?
Change your channels to 2.4 ch 11 and 5 ch 157
go into network properties and Delete the wifi network, then connect to it again
See if it makes a difference.

If not;
As a test, setup a guest network (#3 5ghz) and connect your Mac to that new one and see if it continues to have the same issue.

EDIT: Just read your last reply about it being fine at work. Check your router at home and make sure SSID is not hidden.

The antenna is not. I have looked into ordering one if I can't figure this out any other way.

However, a new development. I clean installed macos last night on the machine in question to make sure there wasn't some setting or preference files buried somewhere causing the issue, but unfortunately the issue still happened, dropped wifi connection after about 10 minutes. Then today I brought the machine into work (going into the office two days a week for covid) and everything has been working fine for hours. No wifi drops at all. So now I am thinking it must be the router.

If present, disable Universal Beamforming and Airtime Fairness on the router.

OE

Found some old info on that model. Common denominator is:

“Finally I sent the computer away for repair and just got it back. Repair sheet says they replaced "Vent/Antenna Module" which had "Mechanical Damage/Cosmetic Issues."

and there are a couple that say something is wacko with the ports and to unplug anything and everything from the ports and wifi starts working. Since yiu took it to work today, maybe yiu had something plugged in at home and unplugged to take to work, now it’s working....anything is possible I guess. If so don’t plug anything in when yiu get home and see if it behaves

Yeah, everything in that is soldered together. I know it's out of warranty, but you could still take it to an apple store and they could run some better diagnostics on it. Should be minimal charge for that. It would be odd for the wifi to go out in it though. But first...

go into network properties and Delete the wifi network, then connect to it again

If not;
As a test, setup a guest network (#3 5ghz) and connect your Mac to that new one and see if it continues to have the same issue.

EDIT: Just read your last reply about it being fine at work. Check your router at home and make sure SSID is not hidden.

SSID's are not hidden. Just got home and changed the channels. Based on other suggestions I also disabled Universal Beamforming, Airtime Fairness was already disabled.

If that doesn't work I will attempt the guest network. Thanks!

If not;

Another update. This helped. Went from being disconnected every 10-20 mins to about every 4 hours. Any idea why that would be?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!