What's new

Wifi interference

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

airlung

Regular Contributor
When 2 routers place very close together on different non-overlapping channels (eg one on the 2.4Ghz #1 channel and the other on the 2.4Ghz #6 channel)can cause interference to each other? Thx

When 2 routers place very close together on different non-overlapping channels (eg one on the 2.4Ghz #1 channel and the other on the 2.4Ghz #6 channel)can cause interference to each other? Thx

Yes, and maybe not how you think. Best to not co-locate them 'very close together' as is instructed by OEMs.

OE

Place them as far apart as possible. A different room is an excellent idea. Poke a hole in the wall and pass through an Ethernet cable to the other room (if you must).

Thx all, Ok allow me to put it into more details. I have a small size office and have an asus ax86u as my main router. I have a 2.5G fiber ISP. I have many wifi 2.5Ghz smart home devices and many 5Ghz computing devices connected to it. I have an extra ax86u router sitting around in my office collecting dust. Thus, I am planning to hook up the extra ax86u (throught ethernet cable) as in AP mode. Base on the room size and other limitations, the best I can do is to put the two routers around 1.5 meters apart. I am planning to set all bands 2.4/5Ghz for both the main router and the extra access point with different SSID and passwords so that I can sprit my Wi-Fi devices to be connected to the main router and the access point manually. I am also planning to use different 2.4/5Ghz non-overlapping wifi channels for the main router and on the AP. So, my question is will I get any benefits by adding the extra ax86u as an extra access point to share the load of the main router or this may cause more interference (as the two routers are put too close together), Or I will be better off by just using one router to connect all my devices? Thx so much!

Thx all, Ok allow me to put it into more details. I have a small size office and have an asus ax86u as my main router. I have a 2.5G fiber ISP. I have many wifi 2.5Ghz smart home devices and many 5Ghz computing devices connected to it. I have an extra ax86u router sitting around in my office collecting dust. Thus, I am planning to hook up the extra ax86u (throught ethernet cable) as in AP mode. Base on the room size and other limitations, the best I can do is to put the two routers around 1.5 meters apart. I am planning to set all bands 2.4/5Ghz for both the main router and the extra access point with different SSID and passwords so that I can sprit my Wi-Fi devices to be connected to the main router and the access point manually. I am also planning to use different 2.4/5Ghz non-overlapping wifi channels for the main router and on the AP. So, my question is will I get any benefits by adding the extra ax86u as an extra access point to share the load of the main router or this may cause more interference (as the two routers are put too close together), Or I will be better off by just using one router to connect all my devices? Thx so much!

Your proposal does not appear to solve any problems and is likely to complicate your network admin and introduce too much radio/EMI to the detriment of your network and health.

OE

So, my question is will I get any benefits by adding the extra ax86u as an extra access point to share the load of the main router or this may cause more interference (as the two routers are put too close together), Or I will be better off by just using one router to connect all my devices?
What is your problem?

@airlung if you are not seeing any problems at the moment, then adding the second router is unlikely to solve any problems. If you are running Merlin on your router, then you can see the utilization on each band on the System Log> Wireless Log page.
Q: Just how many Wifi devices can you cram into the office if the furthest apart you could place the two routers would be 1.5m!

Tell you what, I think your idea is worth a try. If your 2.4GHz is presently working fine but you want /much better/ 5GHz client-to-client or, likely, simultaneous 5GHz client-to-Internet throughput you can turn off the second 2.4 radio as a component if your excercise. Don't forget trying the use of only the second 2.4 radio, too, if it ends up being in the better location location for that purpose. Report back here. I'll bet you leave the second one in service even at the cost of some management convenience. Needless to say that "mesh" is out of the picture, or you'll just be wasting time.

Base on the room size and other limitations, the best I can do is to put the two routers around 1.5 meters apart. I am planning to set all bands 2.4/5Ghz for both the main router and the extra access point with different SSID and passwords so that I can sprit my Wi-Fi devices to be connected to the main router and the access point manually

That's fine - put them on different channels, and with 1.5m of separation, you shouldn't have any issues...

Yes, just a beginner here and my general idea here is that given the two routers are pretty close together, as long as they are running in different non-overlapping channels, they shall not create any interfrerance to each other and at the same time share some loads of using just one router. The same principle for Quad-band routers, it gives u an extra 5ghz band, U can set the two 5ghz in the same router to different non-overlapping channel and they do not interfere with each other and at the same time, share the loads of just using one 5ghz band. Pls correct me if I am wrong, many thx

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!