What's new

Solved avoid wireless interference between 2 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paque1960

New Around Here
Hi im i only have basic understanding of wifi and setting up home networks.

I have a small restaurant / bar and have 2 ISP.

Both wifi routers are close together i have no choice due to space limitation.
I have set the routers wifi to different channels and mhz as follows

Router A 5g network CH 149 Mhz 80
2,4g network Auto

Router B 5g network CH 36 Mhz 40
2,4g network CH 11 Mhz 20

my question is using the above settings will it prevent interference between the networks?

Set Router A 2.4GHz channel to 1 or 6 @ 20MHz and you should be OK. Try and keep as much distance as you can between both routers.

How close is "close"? These channel settings are OK, but it's widely considered a bad idea to put wifi transmitters within a foot or two of each other, regardless of their channel settings.

but it's widely considered a bad idea to put wifi transmitters within a foot or two

How far apart are radios and antennas in tri-band routers with split 5GHz band, for example?

How far apart are radios and antennas in tri-band routers with split 5GHz band, for example?
Not a comparable situation, because there the manufacturer is in full control of the relative positioning of the antennas and has presumably tested that they play nice together.

How close is "close"? These channel settings are OK, but it's widely considered a bad idea to put wifi transmitters within a foot or two of each other, regardless of their channel settings.
At the moment they are about 1 1/2 ft apart horizontally, i can however increase the space between them vertically by installing a shelf maybe 2 ft above if that would make it better

Hm, foot-n-a-half is probably enough --- I was mainly worried about the idea that you might have them jammed up right next to each other. You could try temporarily separating them more to see if that helps. But that just begs the question: are you actually observing any problems?

Hm, foot-n-a-half is probably enough --- I was mainly worried about the idea that you might have them jammed up right next to each other. You could try temporarily separating them more to see if that helps. But that just begs the question: are you actually observing any problems?
Ah good question at the moment i have no problems because router B not used much.
Router A is used for live streaming sports and music
Router B I intend to put cctv system & the bar and restaurant till and ordering tablets onto this router, I obviously dont want any of my services to have a problem (the till and tablets are currently on A i dont think this is a very good idea in terms of security hence my plan to move to the other router)

Not a comparable situation

Probably. In my own experience most play well together on 36/149 and 1/11. All units in my tests.

This "relative positioning of the antennas" is mostly external design driven in consumer AIO products.

Probably. In my own experience most play well together on 36/149 and 1/11. All units in my tests.

This "relative positioning of the antennas" is mostly external design driven in consumer AIO products.
All good in new positions and no problems that i can see so far.
thanks for every ones help
how do i mark topic closed?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!