What's new

WiFi Logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Portalnet

Regular Contributor
in the wifi logs, I have this record, what exactly does it mean?

DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring(ISM) time elapsed 419850ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 36/160 (0xE832)

The second question is if I have set 160Mhz and selected channel 36, half of the channels are regular and the other half are DFS?

Channel Information
----------------------------------------
Channel 36 A Band
Channel 40 A Band
Channel 44 A Band
Channel 48 A Band
Channel 52 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 56 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 60 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 64 A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 100 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 104 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 108 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 112 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 116 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 120 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 124 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 128 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 132 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 136 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 140 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

in the wifi logs, I have this record, what exactly does it mean?

DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring(ISM) time elapsed 419850ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 36/160 (0xE832)

The WLog should also list the current 5.0 control channel and bandwidth, presumably also 36/160... so it means DFS is keeping an eye on RADAR interference and is currently permitting 160MHz bandwidth.

The second question is if I have set 160Mhz and selected channel 36, half of the channels are regular and the other half are DFS?

Yes. If you have any clients that do not support DFS channels, be sure to not allow a DFS control channel.

OE

If channel 36 is set (permanently) and the 160Mhz band is selected, can the router detect radar or any interference on channels 52-64, can it disconnect my clients from the Internet? (lose ping to router) - Does this only happen with DFS control channels?

The second issue is whether the TX power option, which is in the Profesional tab, affects the detection of radars through the router on DFS channels? (power reduction)

Last edited:
If channel 36 is set (permanently) and the 160Mhz band is selected, can the router detect radar or any interference on channels 52-64, can it disconnect my clients from the Internet? (lose ping to router) - Does this only happen with DFS control channels?

If the router detects RADAR, it prohibits using DFS channels and will restrict client connections to 80MHz max bandwidth spanning non-DFS frequencies. You'll have to decide if your clients /users notice.

The second issue is whether the TX power option, which is in the Profesional tab, affects the detection of radars through the router on DFS channels? (power reduction)

Tx power adjusts your router signal. I see no reason why this would affect RADAR detection and DFS.

OE

Because several times a day and sometimes only a few times a week (a real lottery) the 5GHz router loses ping to the router for several seconds and comes back for about 15-30 minutes non-stop and returns to normal until the next time. I thought it might be due to radium being detected or some interference on DFS channels 52-64,

Because several times a day and sometimes only a few times a week (a real lottery) the 5GHz router loses ping to the router for several seconds and comes back for about 15-30 minutes non-stop and returns to normal until the next time. I thought it might be due to radium being detected or some interference on DFS channels 52-64,

Maybe.

Monitor the WLog to 'see' how the 5.0 signal specs and DFS alert behave when there is an event.

Monitor the 5.0 signal with a Wifi analyzer to 'see' if it is changing/dropping.

I would set a fixed, non-DFS control channel and live with 80MHz max bandwidth and see how clients behave.

OE

So this is the alert I asked about in the first post?
I have fixed channel 36. When I have set 20/40/80 Mhz, there is no problem. If I turn on the additional 160 (20/40/80/160) the problem randomly occurs and I do not know what could be the cause. I tried different versions of FW, also merlin and on each of them the same problem. I can't find the reason.

So this is the alert I asked about in the first post?
I have fixed channel 36. When I have set 20/40/80 Mhz, there is no problem. If I turn on the additional 160 (20/40/80/160) the problem randomly occurs and I do not know what could be the cause. I tried different versions of FW, also merlin and on each of them the same problem. I can't find the reason.
May not be a problem but just the way the router WIFI works. With 20-40-80-160 MHz selected with a fixed channel of 36 the router will mostly run at 80 MHz until a 160 MHz client connects. Then it should go to 160 MHz if it is RADAR cleared. If on 160 MHz and RADAR is detected it will go back to 80 MHz.
You may find more stable operation with auto channel. As in all things WIFI your results may vary based on your environment.

Isn't WIFI fun?

Portalnet:

If the router detects RADAR, it prohibits using DFS channels and will restrict client connections to 80MHz max bandwidth spanning non-DFS frequencies. You'll have to decide if your clients /users notice.

This is exactly the question I was going to ask next in a separate thread I'm being helped with. Thanks, @OzarkEdge !

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!