What's new

Wifi radiation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronorbar

Regular Contributor
I don't know if they talked about it here in the forum, about the issue of radiation in the house from the wifi signals? Is there any danger?

I'm assuming you're talking about the signal from your WiFi router. No there isn't any danger. This has been discussed multiple times. That said, there are always some people that refuse to believe it.

Last edited:
No one today can truthfully say if there is any danger or not. Smoking/chewing tobacco was thought safe for thousands of years before any 'proof' was found it wasn't.

Given our short lifespans on earth, I don't worry about it though.

Having a router (or wireless video/listening device) in a baby's room isn't something I would recommend either though.

You will probably find research studies that conclude that yes there is danger and studies that say no there isn't. Often that means that for some people under certain circumstances exposure to Wi-Fi radiation can be dangerous or detrimental in some way yet for others it might be perfectly benign.

Dense radio communications everywhere around us are definitely not part of the normal environment.

Dense radio communications everywhere around us are definitely not part of the normal environment.
Agreed, but this isn't something that popped up just in the last few years. Most city dwellers (in the US anyway) are within a few miles of multiple radio and TV stations that are pumping out 50kW or 100kW apiece. It helps a lot that the power density falls off as distance squared, but a little back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that I'm probably getting similar power flux from commercial radio/TV broadcasters as from my ~1W-at-20-feet WiFi gear. If I were within say a mile of such a station, it'd be no contest. That commercial activity has been going on for decades, and there's not any really obvious health consequences detected so far. So I figure something else will kill me before WiFi does.

Would you place your Wi-Fi router on the nightstand next to your newborn baby? If the answer is NO - why?
I am many years past the sell-by date for worrying about newborns. If you have one to deal with, you might make different tradeoffs. But I would note that the distance-squared law applies regardless. I tend not to stand right beside my microwave oven while it's running, and while I do have an AP in my bedroom, it's more than 10 feet from my bed.

Routers run 24/7 on the same 2.4GHz frequency as microwave ovens in our kitchens. Who can tell for sure what’s the safe level long term? It’s a man made change of environment and only time will tell what’s the health impact.

Would you place your Wi-Fi router on the nightstand next to your newborn baby? If the answer is NO - why?
In my case a few years ago they weren’t optimally central to the premises. Most probably aren’t.

Routers run 24/7 on the same 2.4GHz frequency as microwave ovens in our kitchens. Who can tell for sure what’s the safe level long term? It’s a man made change of environment and only time will tell what’s the health impact.
I’d be kind of happy if we went back to wired networks in the home. Except the attic time. I hate it up there.

Mobile communications assists in other damages people do to themselves. Very visible and a real problem for younger generations.

It's not effected me, except for this damn twitch that makes me post inane rubbish on internet forums when I'm bored at work.

I once tested some radioactive lights at work with a geiger counter, there was more radiation standing outside in the sun than from the lights.

I once tested some radioactive lights

There are many items with potential health risk discovered after the introduction. Popular LED lights with color temperature above 2700K (disrupting sleep pattern), also device screens (they have night mode now); CFL lights used in table or desktop lamps (UV light close to the skin) with mercury inside (they break sometimes); there were mercury thermometers and thermostats in the past (very common); asbestos in fire retarding walls, paints and car brake pads; lead water pipes (houses from 60s), etc. There are millions of tons rubber, silica and carbon dust released in the environment from tire wear.

For something we don't know yet both statements "there isn't any danger" and "it will definitely kill you" are equally incorrect.

People carry mobiles in their pockets and fitness trackers on wrists and most mobiles and fitness trackers or smart watches have all kind of Cell Phone, WiFi, and Bluetooth all on at the same time. Fitness trackers that are supposed to and to an extent do help people stay healthy cannot sync without Bluetooth, It can't get closer to the skin than this. Electric current passing through wires in the walls at homes and offices also generate some kind of electromagnetic field I guess.

I do not believe much can be done about it any way as even if theoretically we were to stop using WiFi router, mobile phone, TV and all other devices or even electricity, people in our neighborhood, TV and Radio stations will continue.

It is a price that has to be paid for development and growth if it can be so called. :rolleyes:

On a side note, I suggest that if someone is interested, they should watch a National Geographic Documentary called Aftermath: Population Zero - The World without Humans to see how after being on the receiving end of humanity for millennia, nature would finally be given a chance to take the world back. :)

It's been business first always. Some perhaps remember "eat more sugar" and "more doctors smoke Camels" advertisements.

Mobile communications assists in other damages people do to themselves. Very visible and a real problem for younger generations.
Yes, I agree with this statement, when young people spend time on their phones every day, I really wish I could smash their phones. But I have to pay the bill after that, so no, not good.

I really hope that the urban legend about wifi turning humans into lizardmen doesn't happen to old people, but to these young people.

It's not effected me, except for this damn twitch that makes me post inane rubbish on internet forums when I'm bored at work.
You need to learn to enjoy this thread, it just put me in a better mood today, don't take it too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!