What's new

WiFi router or repeater with 10G lan port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

airgap

Regular Contributor
Hi everybody :)

I am looking for a router or repeater which has a 10G lan port. I want to install a 10G network interface in my computer and would be awesome to make that setup work.

WiFi6 is mandatory and 6e would be even nicer.

Any recommendations? Experiences?

AFAIK, there's only one. Maybe there are some business type routers I'm not aware of.

I have to ask though, how is a port between your PC and the router going to help you?
I mean, the RT-AX89X does actually have two ports, but one is an SFP+ port, i.e. fibre based, but you can get a media converter for $50-60.

Edit: Actually, there's also this thing from QNAP, but it's not a consumer device and it's apparently not a great Wi-Fi router. It also lacks a fair amount of features that you'd expect from a router, especially considering what it costs.

Edit 2: This might also work for you, it has one 10Gbps port and one 2.5Gbps port.

Last edited:
I have to ask though, how is a port between your PC and the router going to help you?

Thank you for the links. The ASUS AX89X has a very cool design.

Well, I don't know I am just trying to find out if I could get most out of my WiFi 6 setup. If there is a need or whish I can explain my setup in detail but in short:

My WiFi 6 setup of my two routers is faster then my computer which has only 1G lan port and yes my computer is far away from the router to connect it directly.

Trust me I know exactly what I want and why I am looking for that kind of hardware :)

To be honest I just thought about those ASUS PCE adapters which you can install in your computer and has WiFi 6 which could theoretically get me up to 3GB/s ... yeah in theory :D which would be more than the 1G lan.

Thank you for the links. The ASUS AX89X has a very cool design.

Well, I don't know I am just trying to find out if I could get most out of my WiFi 6 setup. If there is a need or whish I can explain my setup in detail but in short:

My WiFi 6 setup of my two routers is faster then my computer which has only 1G lan port and yes my computer is far away from the router to connect it directly.

Trust me I know exactly what I want and why I am looking for that kind of hardware :)

To be honest I just thought about those ASUS PCE adapters which you can install in your computer and has WiFi 6 which could theoretically get me up to 3GB/s ... yeah in theory :D which would be more than the 1G lan.
Sorry, but that'll never happen over current wireless adapters.
Even node to node in a 6E 4x4 mesh setup you're not really hitting much more than 2Gbps and that's under ideal condition and only for a very short distance.

Maybe you want to consider 2.5Gbps or 5Gbps Ethernet instead?
Plenty of routers with one 2.5Gbps Ethernet port, two ports are "coming soon™".
A 2.5Gbps add-in card is no more than $30 and there are USB 3.0 options for around the same price too.
I would say that 5Gbps doesn't really make sense vs 10Gbps.

I finally pulled the trigger on an RT-AX89X, ver. A2 and updated to the latest firmware. Using the SFP+ port as WAN with the 10GBase-T port hooked up to a 10Gbe switch. That in turn is linked to my PC via a 10G SFP+ to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. Got close to advertised ISP speeds measured on Ookla initially. Testing the next day saw speeds drop to a tenth of what the ISP provides. I unplugged the router and hooked up the ethernet link directly to the PC from the 10Gbe switch and got back nearly full advertised speeds. I tried turning off Ai Protection, which hurts performance, but no dice. Ended up doing a hard reset of the router and apparently that worked. Going to monitor it for the rest of the week to see if the LAN speeds drop off again like before. The transceiver in the SFP+ port runs uncomfortably hot even with a fibre optic one plugged in. I'm concerned that will shorten the lifespan of the router and will monitor closely. Like everyone else, I got this for the 10G ports so wifi wasn't really a priority, if only there was a function to disable the radios. The wifi is spotty at best with the 5Ghz band sporadically disappearing and dropping my AC/AX devices down to 2.4Ghz. Hence, the family uses a separate wireless home network. Looking forward to the Wifi 6E version of the router if there is going to be one. I've also set my sights on TP Link's Archer AX206 as well but there've been no new updates since it was announced at CES 2021 in January.
Archer AX206 | AX11000 Tri-Band 10G WiFi 6E Router | TP-Linkhttps://www.tp-link.com › home-networking › archer-a...
Oh the global chip shortage...

Thank you guys :)

On the RT-AX89X is the transceiver for SFP+ (for connecting to WAN) installed or do I have buy that module?
If installed which version is installed?

@RTWZ80 a word of advice, never connect anything from TP-Link so it faces the internet, they have terrible software support and have plenty of CVEs that are unpatched. Most of their consumer products never get more than the firmware updates.

@RTWZ80 a word of advice, never connect anything from TP-Link so it faces the internet, they have terrible software support and have plenty of CVEs that are unpatched. Most of their consumer products never get more than the firmware updates.
Thanks for the heads up, but there aren't any other consumer-level wifi routers with the SFP+/10G Base-T ports combo. Going prosumer would mean getting a Mikrotik CCR2004 or UDM Pro with a Wifi 6 AP. And even among Wifi 6 APs, there're only a handful that have SFP+/10G Base-T ports.

This IAD from Zyxel: https://service-provider.zyxel.com/global/en/products/wifi-system/mpro-mesh-wifi-gateways/ax7501-b0

And this Huawei AP:

Neither are easy to get a hold of online.

Thanks for the heads up, but there aren't any other consumer-level wifi routers with the SFP+/10G Base-T ports combo. Going prosumer would mean getting a Mikrotik CCR2004 or UDM Pro with a Wifi 6 AP. And even among Wifi 6 APs, there're only a handful that have SFP+/10G Base-T ports.

This IAD from Zyxel: https://service-provider.zyxel.com/global/en/products/wifi-system/mpro-mesh-wifi-gateways/ax7501-b0

And this Huawei AP:

Neither are easy to get a hold of online.
The QNAP thingie has two 10Gbps ports, but it's not really a consumer router.
Hopefully TP-Link will get smacked by the FCC like Asus and D-Link did, so they're forced to offer software updates for their products.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!