What's new

WiFi working only on 5 Ghz not 2.4 Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Purdue

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I'm struggling with one issue I cannot understand: on my AC68U with FreshTomato, i've successfully set up all the VLAN I could, bridged them, assigned DHCP.
Then configured the two main WiFi (2.4 and 5.0 Ghz) and added a couple of Virtual Wireless, as in the picture:

CuUHFNO.png

lrR0Cwz.png

Now, please focuse on the image: WiFi 1 and 4, eth1 and wl0.2 thy are NOT working. WiFi 2 and 3, eth2 and wl0.1 they do.
When I say "not working", I mean any device can't even connect to them, like they do not exist; devices don't even reach the point to be connected without internet, just nothing.

Just to make things more odd, all have routing policies from the VPN client. The only one that should not be tunneled into VPN is the wl0.2.
All others goes through, so can't see any pattern in here to provide hints.
Not even sure if there is a missleading config in the VLAN (but on cables working fine with the switch behind).

qDGCSoM.png

Thanks a lot for any suggestion!

Last edited:
Given you don't even have the VLANs/APs/VAPs working correctly at this point, let's disable the VPN for the time being, since having it enabled only adds to the confusion. Deal w/ the VPN later.

Why do you have vlan4 bridged to the w1 bridge?! The only vlan you typically have bridged to a WAN is vlan2. All the others are typically bridged to one of the other *LAN* bridges (br0, br1, br2, or br3).

@eibgrad true, it was just a try for another issue (having a VLAN bypassing the VPN - i know you did scripts but have not yet tried scripts so was thinking to find some tweaks without).

Regarding disabiling the VPN, I cerainly could, but then why eth2 and wl.0.2 (both on the VPN) works?

Again, since I'm NOT there in person, and this stuff can get confusing to diagnose in this forum, let's proceed step by step. I want to be 100% sure the VLANs, APs, and VAPs work *perfectly* and as expected wrt the WAN before dealing w/ the VPN. Otherwise I won't know which is to blame for any issues.

Ok @eibgrad I disabled all the routing policies in the VPN client and rebooted the router. Check the public ip and it's the ISP one, not the VPN. Tried to connect to all four wireless AP, same two were working, same other two were not.

Last edited:
Based on the information provided so far, I don't see why it wouldn't work. But maybe there's some other differences that I don't know about. I don't know, for example, if perhaps you've configured the wifi differently between a given *physical* AP and its corresponding VAP(s). IOW, perhaps they need to share the same encryption type and they presently do NOT. Or some other settings.

Once again, in a case like this, it helps to simplify the config and make changes one at a time. If you just change everything all at once, it's difficult to pinpoint the culprit. Make one *small* change, confirm all is well, then move on to the next change.

@eibgrad what i've found out is that everything that runs on 2.4Ghz is not working, while 5 Ghz does. Does country rev should be the same for 2.4 and 5 Ghz?

Last edited:
It would help to see the individual AP/VAP configuration pages.

Even so, I strongly recommend you start over! You're making too many changes all at once. Keep it simple. Perhaps add one VLAN, give it a port, and assign it to a bridge. Then verify it works. Only *then* add a VAP and assign it to that same bridge. Then verify all is still working. Otherwise, you're going to have to get lucky and happen upon the culprit. Because at this point, I haven't a clue. When dealing w/ this kind of situation, you have to be methodical, and do one thing at a time until something breaks!

Thanks @eibgrad , I believe I found the reason why:

WiFi.png

Had this in another virtual wireless interface, adjusted the MAC properly (according to what shown in Advanced > MAC Address) and then I could connect. Fact is, this issue is keeping popping out on the 2.4Ghz after reboots, it just change interface, but only on the 2.4Ghz. I.e., at the mo I do not have anymore what show above but the very same virtual interface is cloning the same MAC of wl0 and thus the same warning message. If I manually fix it again, again the same message with all the 0's. Any idea where this comes from?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!