What's new

Wifi5 + Adaptive QOS + OpenVPN + Reliable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mto

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for a router with WiFi 5 (I don't need WiFi 6, so I save some money) which also has these features:

* Adaptive QOS (to reduce latency, for gaming etc.) - similar to what Asus routers have.
* OpenVPN.
* Reliable.
* Made by a company from the Western world.
(Not necessarily built in the western world, but designed by a company from the western world.)
* Preferably NOT an Asus router! It disappointed me in the past... I don't trust Asus routers.
* Guest WiFi SSID (optional)

Also, I've read in some website that many routers of very well known companies - actually have a bad security.
I don't know if it is allowed to publish this website here, also I need to find its URL.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a router with WiFi 5 (I don't need WiFi 6, so I save some money) which also has these features:

* Adaptive QOS (to reduce latency, for gaming etc.) - similar to what Asus routers have.
* OpenVPN.
* Reliable.
* Made by a company from the Western world.
* Preferably NOT an Asus router! It disappointed me in the past... I don't trust Asus routers.
* Guest WiFi SSID (optional)

Also, I've read in some website that many routers of very well known companies - actually have a bad security.
I don't know if it is allowed to publish this website here, also I need to find its URL.
Good luck...

Best if you build your own as you may fail with a requirement for a router built in the western world. An old PC with an AC WIFI card and pfSense or IPFire. Some have even used a Pi4 as a router with great success.

Otherwise go with Asus and a RT-AX86U or S.

Good luck...

Best if you build your own as you may fail with a requirement for a router built in the western world. An old PC with an AC WIFI card and pfSense or IPFire. Some have even used a Pi4 as a router with great success.

Otherwise go with Asus and a RT-AX86U or S.
Not necessarily built in the western world, but designed by a company from the western world.

An old PC with an AC WIFI card and pfSense or IPFire.

I would suggest similar except bypassing the installed WiFi card (cards for dual band) and use a dedicated AP (or consumer router in AP mode).

I would suggest similar except bypassing the installed WiFi card (cards for dual band) and use a dedicated AP (or consumer router in AP mode).
Thanks though I don't get it... there isn't a single router with these features except for Asus ?

What do people do to reduce latency for gaming/streaming if they don't use an Asus router?

What do people do to reduce latency for gaming/streaming if they don't use an Asus router?

There are a lot of options out there - Asus is not the only player in the market...

The only cheap option for you is a brand name off-lease SFF PC like DELL/HP with multi-NIC card running pfSense and a VLAN capable AP. You can fit in about $300, if you know what you need and what are you doing. Anything else factory made and new will be more expensive. Netgate 4100 appliance is $600 and it's one of the cheapest ready to go brand name x86 hardware options. For low latency you need fiber Internet line and a simple bandwidth limiter set to about 90% line speed. You need networking knowledge or willingness to learn, if you go pfSense/OPNsense way.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!