Wifi5 + Adaptive QOS + OpenVPN + Reliable

mto

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for a router with WiFi 5 (I don't need WiFi 6, so I save some money) which also has these features:

* Adaptive QOS (to reduce latency, for gaming etc.) - similar to what Asus routers have.
* OpenVPN.
* Reliable.
* Made by a company from the Western world.
(Not necessarily built in the western world, but designed by a company from the western world.)
* Preferably NOT an Asus router! It disappointed me in the past... I don't trust Asus routers.
* Guest WiFi SSID (optional)

Also, I've read in some website that many routers of very well known companies - actually have a bad security.
I don't know if it is allowed to publish this website here, also I need to find its URL.

Last edited:

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
I'm looking for a router with WiFi 5 (I don't need WiFi 6, so I save some money) which also has these features:

* Adaptive QOS (to reduce latency, for gaming etc.) - similar to what Asus routers have.
* OpenVPN.
* Reliable.
* Made by a company from the Western world.
* Preferably NOT an Asus router! It disappointed me in the past... I don't trust Asus routers.
* Guest WiFi SSID (optional)

Also, I've read in some website that many routers of very well known companies - actually have a bad security.
I don't know if it is allowed to publish this website here, also I need to find its URL.
Good luck...

Best if you build your own as you may fail with a requirement for a router built in the western world. An old PC with an AC WIFI card and pfSense or IPFire. Some have even used a Pi4 as a router with great success.

Otherwise go with Asus and a RT-AX86U or S.

mto

Occasional Visitor
Good luck...

Best if you build your own as you may fail with a requirement for a router built in the western world. An old PC with an AC WIFI card and pfSense or IPFire. Some have even used a Pi4 as a router with great success.

Otherwise go with Asus and a RT-AX86U or S.
Not necessarily built in the western world, but designed by a company from the western world.

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
An old PC with an AC WIFI card and pfSense or IPFire.

I would suggest similar except bypassing the installed WiFi card (cards for dual band) and use a dedicated AP (or consumer router in AP mode).

mto

Occasional Visitor
I would suggest similar except bypassing the installed WiFi card (cards for dual band) and use a dedicated AP (or consumer router in AP mode).
Thanks though I don't get it... there isn't a single router with these features except for Asus ?

What do people do to reduce latency for gaming/streaming if they don't use an Asus router?

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
What do people do to reduce latency for gaming/streaming if they don't use an Asus router?

There are a lot of options out there - Asus is not the only player in the market...

Tech9

Part of the Furniture
The only cheap option for you is a brand name off-lease SFF PC like DELL/HP with multi-NIC card running pfSense and a VLAN capable AP. You can fit in about $300, if you know what you need and what are you doing. Anything else factory made and new will be more expensive. Netgate 4100 appliance is $600 and it's one of the cheapest ready to go brand name x86 hardware options. For low latency you need fiber Internet line and a simple bandwidth limiter set to about 90% line speed. You need networking knowledge or willingness to learn, if you go pfSense/OPNsense way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!