What's new

wifi6, easymesh, mixed brands, what standard?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

demo999

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I would like to be able to mix brands (eg d-link and netgear) for a mesh network in bridge mode, ie. my main router to internet has DHCP role.
What wifi standard should I be looking for?

EasyMesh™:
"Built on the promise of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED, Wi-Fi EasyMesh networks accommodate a greater selection of interoperable devices across brands."
("devices" is that mesh AP or connected devices as phone ,laptops etc)

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6:
Doesnt mention anything about mixing brands in mesh.

I can't see Easymesh is part of wifi 6 or visa versa.

You'd like to, but you can't. Mesh systems are not interchangeable between different manufacturers (how could they be).

Never heard of it and have never seen this 'works across brands' work either.

I don't believe anyone before on this forum has ever mentioned it either. So Asus/Netgear at least, are on their own islands.

An alliance doesn't make it so.

True, but it helps when products is.

"Wi-Fi Certified EasyMesh™"

But nvm. I'll keep on searching for information.
Sorry for the time you wasted on me.

Cross brand mesh standards just don't seem to have gained enough support to be a valid consideration. Yet anyway.

Last edited:
Never heard of it and have never seen this 'works across brands' work either.

I don't believe anyone before on this forum has ever mentioned it either. So Asus/Netgear at least, are on their own islands.

EasyMesh has been out there for a while... it's supposed to be chipset/OEM agnostic, as opposed to Vendor and/or chipset proprietary mesh technology.

Limited deployment, however, I've seen first-hand devices that supposedly support it - the Belkin-RT3200/Linksys-E8450 devices are a good example.

@thiggins might have some additional insight on EasyMesh.

Good intentions are usually excluded from business strategies. Companies with own "mesh" solutions will make sure their products are incompatible with EasyMesh. The goal is to sell more own products, not boost someone else's sales.

Companies with own "mesh" solutions will make sure their products are incompatible with EasyMesh. The goal is to sell more own products, not boost someone else's sales.

When big customers like operators make EasyMesh a mandatory requirement for their Residental Gateways, that changes the game in a big way...

Big operators prefer to sell or rent own equipment too. The best Wi-Fi they say and customers with no clue believe. Technicians come and plug as many Pods as they can, each one for a small monthly fee. 10 minutes per customer installation time, YouTube runs good.

EasyMesh is a standard primarily focused on service providers, not consumers. It's intended to provide product selection flexibility to not be trapped in a single-source situation.

Setting up a single router is difficult enough for most consumers. Mesh systems are worse. Selecting and configuring a DIY mesh system? Forget it.

There is also no incentive for consumer Wi-Fi manufacturers to encourage mix-and-match system building. Aside from giving away potential business, think of the support headaches. And, of course, you'll want support to be free.

The WFA website has plenty of information on EasyMesh and you can also download the spec if you really want to dig into the details.

Use the Certified search tool to find products.
https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finde...egories=4&capabilities=141&certifications=141

You won't find many (any?) consumer systems there.

Now, all that being said, the solution to building a Wi-Fi bridge isn't mesh. All you need to do is select a router that supports bridge mode and doesn't require WDS to do it. Most routers today support non WDS bridging.

For best results, you should have tri-radio routers on both ends of the bridge, so you can dedicate a radio to the bridge connection. This will avoid the retransmission throughput penalty.