What's new

Wildcard local DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joro_abv

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to setup Merlin firmware to resolve wildcard DNS for the local domain. Example : my local domain is "home". So, my machine is resolved as "joro.home" respectively, which is fine. My problem is, that I can't get "xxx.joro.home", "yyy.joro.home" etc. resolved at all. Is there a way to get this, best way would be wildcard resolution.

You will have to look in the dnsmasq documentation to determine if it's possible or not. This is fairly unusual for a LAN, so I doubt anyone here has ever tried to do that.

Personally, as someone who manages close to 100 DNS zones for a customer, I always thought that wildcard entries were a really bad idea. Just like when some providers decided it would be a good idea to return a bogus IP rather than a proper NXDOMAIN response.

There may be a way, but you would have to assign fixed ip's to each client you would want to behave that way. If that's acceptable, you could try making a dnsmasq.conf.add in the /jffs/configs directory with the following....

address=/.domain.home/fixed_ip_address

Yes, I'm assigning fixed IP's to the machines in question already anyway, so I'll give it a try. Thanks, Merlin.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!