What's new

Will a SMA Female to N-Type Male work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sempro

New Around Here
I need to shoot my internet a little ways up the hill and I am not sure what I need to buy in order to pull it off.

What I have is the followinig:

Internet access: Wild Blue Satellite 1.5 Mpbs
Router: WNDR3700
I will need to probably get some type of wireless repeater <-(suggestions please) to get a good signal that can be picked up with a

Receiving end:
24 db parabolic antenna (see attached pic)

some type of router that has a removable antenna<-(suggestions please)
http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-Wireless-N-Essential-WHR-HP-G300N/dp/B002WBV2T8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299087930&sr=1-3

that I can connect the antenna to with a
SMA Female to N-Type Male type cable? <-(suggestions please)
I already have say 50 ft of cable for the antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Reverse-Weatherproof-Connector-TEW-L208/dp/B000FICJ8S/ref=pd_cp_e_0

In other words what type of repeater should I get, what type of connector should I get to connect the 24 db antenna to what type of wireless n router?
I like the WNDR3700 but with it having internal antennas it is making this a little more difficult than what I would prefer.

I'm shooting the signal maybe 300 to 400 yards with maybe some tree limbs in the way. The placemark cc is now where I have a cleared spot where I am placing an office. Also attached is a pic of the view and reason I am going through all of this.

Thank you in advance for anyone that helps.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_20110302_121309.jpg
    IMG_20110302_121309.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_20110302_121323.jpg
    IMG_20110302_121323.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 409
I suggest not using the dish. Instead, get a pair of these or equivalent (I've used these and the work well). Use them in the bridge mode.

Connect one to your router.
Put the other on the hill and it has an RJ45 ethernet connector. Connect a PC or an ethernet switch for multiple ports, etc.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=engenius_bridge-_-33-168-071-_-Product

There are two other similar products. One supports 802.11a in 5.8GHz which has an advantage of doing this bridge link in other than 2.4GHz.

Where is the router located? If it is inside the house, you can try using a wireless adapter with SMA connector and a 8dBi or more directional high gain antenna at the remote site and see if you can get conencted.

For the connection to the antenna, just make sure you have the right type of connector on all equipments. The TRENDnet cable you listed is a LMR200 cable, which has around 0.5dB loss per meter of cable, meaning that for a 8 meters cable, it would have around 4dB signal loss. If you are connecting it to a 24dBi antenna, your final gain would be around 20dBi (not counting the antenna connectors in between). In your case, the distance is around 400 yards, so it is not going to mater too much.

As for the repeters, you can use any brand that says it has repeater function and buy two of the same brand/model. Keep in mind that each repted signal would reduce the bandwidth by 1/2. If you are just going to surf Internet at the remote location, with 1.5Mbps Internet from the provider, this is also not going to affect it much.

By the way, if you don't mind posting a digram of your desired network to give us a better picture of what you would like to accomplish, it would help us better understand what are needed to do the job.

I beleive the router you have does not have external antenna and you are thinking of repeating the router's signal to the remote site.

My apologies for not replying sooner. I was not notified that there were replies posted to the thread. I will correct that in my settings. I was wondering why nobody had replied to my post :)

>I beleive the router you have does not have external antenna and you are thinking of repeating the router's signal to the remote site.

Exactly subinsu, that is my major pain. If it had an external antenna then it would make this easier. Let me know if this helps.

I need to go from a
1. Router: WNDR3700 to a
2. Wireless repeater of some sort, asking for suggestions here.
then 400 yards away
3. Picking up the signal with the dish antenna? or another repeater?
4. Feed it down to a receiving router
5. Which should be a wired/wireless router.

Steve, that Engenius AP looks very promising for that price... I do have a few trees that will get some leaves here soon so I hope they are powerful enough but from the reviews I read they look pretty strong. I found them on Amazon around the same price so I will probably get them from there.

Thanks again to the both of you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!