What's new

Will maxing out NVRAM cause random WAN/ISP connection issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shwagon

New Around Here
ASUS RT-AC68U running Merlin 386.7

I'm having random but constant (guessing at least once an hour) loss of WAN/ISP connection. Loss of connectivity can last from a few seconds to 10mins. I'm kind of a noob, but I don't see anything pop up about the loss in my log.

My ISP states that their signal and modem are clear and I don't see any changes to the connection indicator LED's on the modem during an outage.

I never lose wireless connection to the Router and all wired connected devices lose the same connection to the internet at the same time.

I do have one notification that my NVRAM is low ( 63386 / 65536 bytes). Would this cause random drop-outs of service?

Welcome to the forums @shwagon.

Yes, it is very possible that is the reason.

Save a copy of your JFFS partition. Save a copy of the router config.

Reset the router to factory defaults via the GUI - be sure you click the 'Initialize all settings...' box. Or, use the link below.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Restore your config and JFFS backups you created above after you have fully reset the router.

Check the NVRAM. If it still shows full, you may need to perform a full reset and then do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

I do have one notification that my NVRAM is low ( 63386 / 65536 bytes). Would this cause random drop-outs of service?
No. You would see errors in the router's System Log if that were the case.

If you don't see any errors in the log then the problem is likely with your ISP's network (or you have mis-configured your router).

With just over 2KB of NVRAM available to use, random network issues are the most visible symptoms. Take care of that first, before trying to engage your ISP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!