What's new

Win10 file sharing woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elenhil

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I wonder if this is the place to get help with my issue (not the verbosity one).

I have had trouble setting up file sharing on my home network (wireless laptop + wired desktop, both running Win10 v21H2, with RT-AC66U B1 Asusrt-Merlin v386.5_2 in between) in the past. It seemed to be a thing of the past until I did a factory reset on my router. To all intents and purposes, the only thing that changed was that I switched from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x, but filesharing became one-way only.

That is, only my desktop can now access my laptop, not vice-versa.

I did check the usual services. I did check network discovery services (and whether both PCs see this as a private network). I did try both password- and passwordless access settings. I did try renaming my homegroup. Nothing seems to work.

For completeness' case: my previous issues went away when I switched to password-protected access and added the laptop's users on my desktop. But since nothing seemed to have changed there (only the router setting), I cannot fathom how a previously accessible desktop could have become inaccessible. Changing back to passwordless didn't help.

Any Ideas where to look?

can you ping both ways without issue ?
all devices show up on the network map in windows for each device ?
changing the network address probably broke the link mapped in folder sharing.

Aha! It just occurred to me to try entering the IP address directly - and it worked!

The old name doesn't, though. And neither is it visible on the network map. But the IP workaround is very much workable!

Thanks for inspiring this one :)

OK, this is back and is driving me nuts. To start with, the desktop is not visible on the network map. And to conclude with - it is no longer accessible. Again.

The best I managed is make the laptop ask for user credentials, after which it's error 0x80070035 (network path not found) again.

since this may be a setting issue in your reset router, i would post in the Merlin subforum.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!