What's new

Windows Backup issue with NetGear ReadyNAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

knfevg

New Around Here
I have a problem with WindowsBackup. I'm trying to use it, for the first time, to backup to NAS (Netgear Readynas RN104). After it works for some time (the files and folders are created on the NAS), it suddenly stops with an error : 0x81000039. So far I have tried:

1. Mapping NAS drives to local volumes

2 . Changed the NTLM authentication

3 . disable automatic detection of receive window

4 . LAN connection using a cable Ethernet ( usually I'm connected by WiFi)

5 . Disabling the Windows Firewall

The same thing happens at two different laptops ( working with Windows 7). Unfortunately , I dont have the opportunity to try on another computer or other OS. Copying large files back and forth to the NAS works without problems.

On another forum someone told me that Windows Backup have a issue because the file system used by Readynas is Ext3 or Ext4 and despite CIFS it's still a problem. I dont understand why should it be an issue as CIFS makes it irelevant for Windows Backup with the the FS. Moreover, I guess most NAS system run Linux and thus use EXT FS.

You might want to take a look at robocopy on windows. Look at the mirror option. It will allow you to mirror a hard drive to another location. The nice thing about using robocopy is it will only send the changes made on the original hard drive when you run it the second time. It does not do another complete back every time, it sends only the changes or deltas.

I have a problem with WindowsBackup. I'm trying to use it, for the first time, to backup to NAS (Netgear Readynas RN104). After it works for some time (the files and folders are created on the NAS), it suddenly stops with an error : 0x81000039. So far I have tried:

1. Mapping NAS drives to local volumes

2 . Changed the NTLM authentication

3 . disable automatic detection of receive window

4 . LAN connection using a cable Ethernet ( usually I'm connected by WiFi)

5 . Disabling the Windows Firewall

The same thing happens at two different laptops ( working with Windows 7). Unfortunately , I dont have the opportunity to try on another computer or other OS. Copying large files back and forth to the NAS works without problems.

On another forum someone told me that Windows Backup have a issue because the file system used by Readynas is Ext3 or Ext4 and despite CIFS it's still a problem. I dont understand why should it be an issue as CIFS makes it irelevant for Windows Backup with the the FS. Moreover, I guess most NAS system run Linux and thus use EXT FS.

Do you have any Win7 machines that are backing up successfully? Are the two machines in question 32 or 64 bit win?

Have you tried opening up task manager prior to initiating backup and killing every process not essential to the OS, and then attempting?

After it works for some time (the files and folders are created on the NAS), it suddenly stops with an error : 0x81000039. So far I have tried:

Are you trying to back it up to itself? Is the receiving NAS where the folders are created the same NAS you are backing up?

coxhaus: I'm backing up 2 laptops with windows 7 to the only ReadyNAS I have. Robocopy - I will look at it although my first preference is to run Windows Backup (why not, it's good enough for the backup, if it works...)
PrivateJoker: One machine is 64 bit one 32 bit. These are the only two machines I got, so no, none other machines are backing up. I tried backing up to an external USB drive (NTFS) and it worked great!

Acronis True Image, you can create images of each system with their backup software. The issue might be well suited if you pop in a disc boot to their software in dos and then send it to the nas by-passing Windows. That's what we use do for corp companies. Some use PXC system which slower.

For me I try not to store important files on each PC here on the network. Everything is stored on the NAS like what a business would do. Thus the need to backup the entire system would reduce over head.

You should have images setup for each PC, if that PC fails you would run ATI on it. Fresh image. Restore that, then restore most current backup.

No more ideas?

Sorry I was trying to go back in my head, I had one Win7 64 machine that also gave me intermittent difficulty backing up over the network.

I looked up your error though and saw you did most of the first line troubleshooting.

I agree with the commenter who suggested Acronis True Image, that software has been really good in my experience.

I don't think I ever fully resolved my issue, but I upgraded to Win8 which has "Win7 legacy" backup hidden in it, and now it works reliably.

I'd say you could probably hunt down that error some more (with greater satisfaction) on a Microsoft forum.

I've used Acronis Tru Image for years. It does take some time to learn.

But it's one of the few that does do security credential based NAS access reliably. It knows the user/password to access the NAS area where drive images are stored for the XP and Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit PCs around here.

The drive clone capability, not NAS related, is another key thing I rely on.

I've tried several other imaging and cloning products, but flawed though it be, Tru Image is, IMO, the best among them. It's often (and is now) on NewEgg for $20.

My NAS isn't Negear, but the SMB access should be the same. Getting the login/password correct between the PC and the NAS, for the unattended backup, is one thing Tru Image does right and few others do.

What I dont need to to images but only backup data (Autocad), would Cobian backup do?
If you don't do images, then when the day comes that your PC gets a virus or malware, or the disk dies, you get to spend an entire weekend reinstalling windows, apps, re-customizing the PC, etc. Not fun. Keeping a recent image, or cloning the drive to another, changes this to a 15 minute task.

to backup only selected folders, automatically, I use and recommend SecondCopy, from Centered Systems. Easy to use. Inexpensive.

Your important documents and files should have priority in terms of backups. If you don’t have space for the OS then just backup important files. The OS can be recreated. It may take a little longer but you will not lose anything permanently.

I actually backup both my OS and my important files separately. If I run out of space then I can delete the OS backups.

Acronis True Image is the way to go not hard to use. Create a full image then you can do smaller ones with the most current update or what has changed. But like I had said I don't save anything on PC that's is important.

Rule of thumb is to have a main image of what's on the current system you have. Should such a system fail like duff HD. You replace the HD then restore the system using the backup image which you can do from NAS, USB HD your choice are better.

I use ATI as much as I can for years it works. Another system prior was GHOST from Norton.

Know the difference between imaging and cloning. I really like the latter. But I do both, on different schedules.

Hey Stevech

Can you expand on cloning, I mostly do images not cloning. The reason I asked is that my SSD packed it in this week and I had to wait to buy another SSD to get up and going again. Purchased another 250 GB SSD and used my image and was up and running in 20 min. My desktop has a 250GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive.

I back up my important folders separately and also image my drive on the 1 TB hard drive in the desk top. I also back up to my NAS and external hard drive. So I am well protected as far as not losing any important files.

Could a clone on my 1 TB hard drive get me up and running until I buy a new SSD? I guessing yes.

Cheers and thanks for your input..

cloning: duplicate all sectors on the source disk drive to the destination. The destination thus becomes bootable by simply changing the BIOS preference on boot drive.

Imaging: Duplicate all sectors in a partition on a hard disk, creating a file on a different disk. That file has to be recovered to recreate the one partition. That means 30+ minutes running the special recovery software, or half a day if you didn't make a bootable CD/DVD using that software.

Disk drives are cheap now. Better to clone than image, if you want fast recovery from a corrupted or virused disk. Assuming the clone is done like every 2 weeks, just boot the clone and use the backups of files since the clone to catch up.

Better yet: As I now do: Data is always on my NAS, not on my PC. Hard habit to change. PC's boot disk can be smaller. Cloned once a month or so as no data per se was on the disk before it became corrupt/violated.

My 2 bay NAS has automatic 3 way backups of itself. Biggest risk is theft, and I have that covered with a USB3 drive.

The NAS serves all the PCs and tablets/phones in the home, and can be accessed remotely.

In addition to cloning, I do an image backup per PC when I feel there are a lot of changes due to operating system updates and I don't want to do that again.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve! That is what I thought..

Cheers
I've used Acronis Tru Image on PCs here, for imaging and cloning, for many years. Not all the backup software supports NAS access authentication by the backup software (unattended, no prompting a human). Indeed, most either didn't do the authentication at all and thus failed to work with a NAS, or they required human intervention.

Acronis has its idiosyncracies, but I've used the images and clones maybe 10 times to save my butt and it's always worked. For me, having this assurance is worth the $20 or so I pay for each version update, though I've skipped a few.

Another consideration is a backup tool that properly does solid state disks where you need to align partitions on some power of two block count boundary. If you don't, it degrades the SSD's algorithm for wear-leveling.