What's new

Solved Windows doesn't resolve Android device hostnames?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

domic

Regular Contributor
Code:
ping -a 10.x.x.10
does give me
Code:
Pinging Android-Device [10.x.x.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.x.x.10: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=64
however
PHP:
ping Android-Device
always gives
Code:
Ping request could not find host Android-Device. Please check the name and try again.

Which also makes reaching "Android-Device" URLs in my browser and other software not possible for unknown reasons.
This didn't use to be a problem in the past. Does anyone know how to restore that functionality?

How is the Android device name resolved in the router's GUI? Both on the Network Map > Clients, and the System Log > DHCP Leases pages.

No issues pinging wireless Android devices by their hostname, that I have manually assigned an IP address address and hostname in the router GUI's LAN > DHCP Server section, on a Windows 11 PC.

Both places resolve to it's Brand-ModelNumber123, as advertised in my phone.

However I accidentally discovered I can access it with
Code:
hostname.
instead of
Code:
hostname

How do I fix removing the dot? I choose to not use a local domain name, example "hostname.local".

Have you tried assigning a hostname or name to the phone in the router's GUI? For example assign a name in the GUI popup dialog window for a Client when you select the client's icon in the Client Status section. Here is an example of that dialog window for a Android tablet that has a custom name input:
client_name.jpg

However I accidentally discovered I can access it with
Code:
hostname.
instead of
Code:
hostname

How do I fix removing the dot? I choose to not use a local domain name, example "hostname.local".
This sounds like the same issue you reported before that was caused by you not specifying a domain name for your LAN.

Have you tried assigning a hostname or name to the phone in the router's GUI? For example assign a name in the GUI popup dialog window for a Client when you select the client's icon in the Client Status section. Here is an example of that dialog window for a Android tablet that has a custom name input:
View attachment 57692
Yes, this is setup like you have, but only Linux systems see the ping (without the dot at the end), while my Windows machine doesn't see it, and I do not know why

This sounds like the same issue you reported before that was caused by you not specifying a domain name for your LAN.

I returned the domain name to the default setting, for intended functionality, after reading your responses. So I've been using no domain name ever since.
for convenience I also used "no domain" there as it worked fine on all my Linux based devices (the router, Android, Raspberry Pi etc)

It's definitely a client issue (Windows) but days of googling and asking Copilot have not answered why it doesnt work.

What do you suggest Colin? For example, just giving in to having any local domain name set up and live with it? (Not trying to sound sarcastic/rude by the way)

I returned the domain name to the default setting, for intended functionality, after reading your responses. So I've been using no domain name ever since.
for convenience I also used "no domain" there as it worked fine on all my Linux based devices (the router, Android, Raspberry Pi etc)

It's definitely a client issue (Windows) but days of googling and asking Copilot have not answered why it doesnt work.

What do you suggest Colin? For example, just giving in to having any local domain name set up and live with it? (Not trying to sound sarcastic/rude by the way)
This is a known issue with Windows name resolution that has been reported in these forums before. The solution is to specify a domain name. AFAIK it applies to all dynamic lookups not just Android devices.

As I said in my previous reply to you:
I can't think of any advantages of having a null domain name. I've noticed that many home router manufacturers do this and it only leads to confusion.

Last edited:
Yes, this is setup like you have, but only Linux systems see the ping (without the dot at the end), while my Windows machine doesn't see it, and I do not know why
As ColinTaylor suggested. Input a LAN domain name in the LAN > LAN IP > Domain Name field and see if the issue persists. Note the Domain Name tool tip: "The Domain Name for clients who request IP Address from the DHCP Server. It can only contain alphanumeric characters and the dash symbol."

Edit to add: No issues pining an android device (same one used in example above) on a Windows 11 PC. I do have a LAN domain name input. I do not have to use a period or the domain name after the client device name. Ping example: ping SamsungGT-N8013
Example:
LAN_IP.jpg

ping.jpg

Last edited:
Fair enough, I won't hate using one, just loved shorter names in my devices. Thanks, dear friends. <3

Fair enough, I won't hate using one, just loved shorter names in my devices. Thanks, dear friends. <3
But that's the point, all the devices still have their short names. Using the FQDN is entirely optional.