What's new

Wired Access Point recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here is a picture of my plugs to be very precise.

What would be the best option to mount eap 225 wall ?
I take a short wire from the existing plug but I need to bring it to the back of the ap...

Attachments

• 0FD67333-884B-4CB1-9827-0EFED8E2EF31.jpeg
    0FD67333-884B-4CB1-9827-0EFED8E2EF31.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for the photo. Upon examining, you're probably going to be best off with a discrete AP that's away from the outlets.

If you have to wall-mount, so be it. You could actually use the EAP225-Outdoor model in that case, as it will still allow for a wide azimuth even if mounted in a vertical/standing orientation.

Eap 225 outdoor fits with the budget and installation should be ok.
Thanks a lot for this reco.
Is there a controller required for eap 225 ?

last question: I will need a Poe switch with a least 3 ports. Can I add this switch on top of my existing 24+ ports switch ? What do you recommend me ? Thanks again

Is there a controller required for eap 225 ?

Good to have. Central Mgmt, Roaming, Login, Guest Network, etc. This is the one:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/oc200/
List of compatible APs at the bottom of the page. The controller has PoE too.

Can I add this switch on top of my existing 24+ ports switch ?

Yes. Like this little 4 x PoE switch:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/poe-switch/tl-sg1005p/
You may get a better one with more PoE ports, if you want.

Morning - I am still hesitating between the EAP225 Wall (nice but difficult to fit) and EAP225 Outdoor (less nice for indoor usage).

I have noticed that EAP225 Wall has 2 Ethernet ports on the bottom indicated as OUT (while the IN one is at bottom-.
By any chance, do you know if I could configure the EAP 225 to use one of the 2 OUT ports as a IN port?
This would sort out immediately my installation issue !

I was looking at the OC200 posted above and on the face it says POE in so does that mean it requires POE also? Then it sounds like you need 5 ports of POE but I don't know?

I only ran TP link once back when I first started running a router at home. I ran a TP link business class router because I needed a rack mount. I then figured out over time the programming was not very good and they never fixed everything before they dropped support. I posted the threads on this forum way back. They expect you to keep buying hardware every couple of years.

So of course I would run Cisco small business wireless APs. I find Cisco code base to be the best I have used in these small networking devices. The Cisco PRO code base is much better but too expensive for home use. I used Cisco PRO gear for many years at work many years ago. I have been retired 13 years.

I have a much more simple setup. Central RT-AC86U (love that router) and one wired TP-Link EAP225 Access Point. Really didn't expect that Access Point to be as good as it is, really well done with a simple user interface, and inexpensive...

I have a much more simple setup. Central RT-AC86U (love that router) and one wired TP-Link EAP225 Access Point. Really didn't expect that Access Point to be as good as it is, really well done with a simple user interface, and inexpensive...
Fully agree on the EAP225. I bought one based on the discussions here. For $58 it's a bargain and has exceeded expectations.

...I have mine mounted on the wall inside for outside 2.4GHz security cameras. LED pointing upwards, no issue, using a small cable channel (fits one LAN cable) for the install to look good, painted the cable channel in wall color...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!