What's new

Wired non-Asus Router not recognised by ASUS AiMesh Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jksmurf

Hi. I have a RT-AC86U (192.168.1.1) and a RT-AC68U (192.168.1.2) working well as AIMesh main and node (wirelessly), with Smartconnect enabled, same SSID for both frequencies, and a Guest network on the AC86U, same Guest SSID for both. They both run 384.15 and I completely reset factory settings on both before I set it up. The only thing I copied back (to the AC86U) was the dhcp_staticlist files (there are two or three of them).

I used to have the ASUS Routers running as Main and AP with no Smartconnect, together with an old TP-MR3020 Router (set at 192.168.1.4) running DD-WRT wired to the LAN Port, with a BG-only (mixed) Wifi for some old B/G devices (a Scale and 2 Sensibo Aircon controllers). Unfortunately I did not save the screen shots of the non-smart connect setup, but IIRC 2.4GHZ was set at N only and 5GHZ was N/AC mixed only.

After I set up the mesh (most settings left default), the MR3020 device at IP address 192.168.1.4 simply disappeared from the network map of the RT-AC86U. Puzzled, I reset the MR3020 to factory settings, reset the device as an AP (but did NOT set up the Wifi yet, this is important) and it showed up in the RT-AC86U Network Map immediately (jubilation at this point, but it was short-lived). I then thought OK, final step, add the Wifi Back in. On doing this the MR3020 device disappeared again :-(.

Is there something I am missing here please? Would the AIMESH System (or any ASUS Router setup) with Smart Connect prevent the BG network being set up and the device from being recognized? Is what I am attempting to do a network no-no? i.e. could the ASUS AC86U be 'fighting' with the MR3020 somehow? If not is there another explanation for why this might be occurring? If I need to provide logs of some kind let me know I am happy to supply but please let me know what level of debugging etc and if need to take any actions (such as physically plugging in the MR3020 when taking logs).

Thanks a lot!

k.

Are you using different SSIDs on the MR3020 than those used on the AiMesh? I would imagine you would need to.

Are you using different SSIDs on the MR3020 than those used on the AiMesh? I would imagine you would need to.
Yes. Absolutely. I make it clear in the SSID that it is a BGonly e.g. "BGonlyNet".

Provided you can actually access the MR3020 by its IP address I wouldn't worry about it. Asus' Network Map is notoriously unreliable, so disappearing devices are not uncommon.

How is the MR3020 setting its own IP address? If it's acting as a DHCP client and getting its address from the RT-AC86U then the Network Map ought to see it. If you're setting the interface statically on the MR3020 then I'm not surprised the RT-AC86U doesn't see it.

....How is the MR3020 setting its own IP address? If it's acting as a DHCP client and getting its address from the RT-AC86U then the Network Map ought to see it. If you're setting the interface statically on the MR3020 then I'm not surprised the RT-AC86U doesn't see it.

Yes, I set it in the MR3020 interface, so maybe that is why. Good point.

Actually I also reserved it in the AC86U Static list. (You're probably going to tell me this is a no-no but I have done this for a few years with other ASUS APs as it makes reboots easier, too many devices reverting to 192.168.1.1 means I sometimes have to change the AC86U to 192.168.1.5 temporarily... ). I will try (when I get home tonight) just reserving the IP in AC86U and not setting it on the MR3020.

Provided you can actually access the MR3020 by its IP address I wouldn't worry about it. Asus' Network Map is notoriously unreliable, so disappearing devices are not uncommon.

I was just writing the same answer with almost same words... Network Map very often doesn't see devices with self-assigned IP addresses. I have a router as wireless bridge on my network with IP 192.x.x.4 and ASUS Network Map never ever realized it's there.

Chinese folks don't like number 4, it brings bad luck and sounds bad in their language. Some buildings don't have floors 4, 14, 24, etc. A router made in China may also have an issue with number 4, you never know. :)

Last edited:
Actually I also reserved it in the AC86U Static list. (You're probably going to tell me this is a no-no but I have done this for a few years with other ASUS APs as it makes reboots easier, too many devices reverting to 192.168.1.1 means I sometimes have to change the AC86U to 192.168.1.5 temporarily... ). I will try (when I get home tonight) just reserving the IP in AC86U and not setting it on the MR3020.
I agree that making a DHCP reservation for it as well is a good idea. I do the same for my static devices.

The Network Map is now closed-source but it seems to mostly rely on the DHCP leases that it has handed out and arp entries.

I was just writing the same answer with almost same words... Network Map very often doesn't see devices with self-assigned IP addresses. I have a router as wireless bridge on my network with IP 192.x.x.4 and ASUS Network Map never ever realized it's there.

Chinese folks don't like number 4, it brings bad luck and sounds bad in their language. Some buildings don't have floors 4, 14, 24, etc. A router made in China may also have an issue with number 4, you never know. :)

Hmm. That's two of you now, OK, Network Map ... yeah ban the No. 4 :)

I agree that making a DHCP reservation for it as well is a good idea. I do the same for my static devices..

Sorry Colin, bit confused; by "as well" are you saying that I should set it in the MR3020 device? or you mean as well as allowing the AC86U DHCP to dish out the IP address (but not in the MR3020)?

Hmm. That's two of you now, OK, Network Map

Don't worry about Network Map. Not a very accurate tool. Take it as general information only. My network printer was never there too, with assigned static IP on the printer. Some people complain even router's DHCP assigned devices not always show up.

Sorry Colin, bit confused; by "as well" are you saying that I should set it in the MR3020 device? or you mean as well as allowing the AC86U DHCP to dish out the IP address (but not in the MR3020)?
What I mean is...

If I have an infrastructure server at 192.168.1.10, I manually configure its network adapter with this IP address (and the other info). I also create a DHCP reservation for 192.168.10.1 on the DHCP server (the router in this case) even though theoretically it won't be used.

Doing it this way a) let's me keep track of all IP addresses in one place (the router), b) stops DHCP clients accidentally being assigned the server's address, and c) if I need to nuke the network config on the server and it defaults back to DHCP it doesn't break things.

However... doing it like this is likely to not solve your Network Map problem. Network Map likes devices to be true DHCP clients. So if you want the MR3020 to appear in the Network Map you're probably going to have to change its network adapter from manual to DHCP (and optionally create a DHCP reservation for it on the RT-AC86U).

Last edited:
..... So if you want the MR3020 to appear in the Network Map you're probably going to have to change its network adapter from manual to DHCP (and optionally create a DHCP reservation for it on the RT-AC86U).
OK cheers. Will give that a whirl. Fingers crossed and thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Right, I didn't have too much time to investigate last night but I found out this:

Unlike ASUS Routers (set as APs) where you can select "Get LAN IP Automatically" I cannot find a similar option in DD-WRT. All I see is a section (Network Setup in the link below) for putting in a fixed LAN IP Address (which is where I put in 192.168.1.4). You cannot leave it blank. What this means is I cannot get the AC86U to assign the IP Address.

I guess as long as the AC86U recognizes the address I give the MR3020, and that address exists (and works and the MR3020s Wifi clients shown up in the ASUS Newtwork Map even if the AP itself does not) then I am good to go. I didn't get that far but will test more tonight. I did a wee bit of googling but nothing leapt out, so I was wondering if anyone knew DD-WRT well enough to tell me it does actually have such an option of "Get LAN IP Automatically"?

https://docs.vilfo.com/en/articles/1981422-setting-a-dd-wrt-router-as-an-access-point

Cheers

k.

Its been a while. Here is what I remember, not sure if this is exactly what you want to do. Step 1 save your mr3020 settings for backup. Unplug the cable from the wan port on the mr3020. If all you want to do is use your mr3020 to fill in a coverage hole and have your asus router assign users their IP addresses... you should be able to go to the DD-wrt setup/basic setup screen find the "network setup" section where you DISABLE the dhcp server. then give the mr3020 a local IP address under router ip /local ip address that will be a reserved address for it on the asus. You will need this if you want to log back into the device once its running. Save/apply your settings. Now take the cable you would normally think of plugging into the wan port and plug it into a LAN port. when it comes up users on the mr3020 should be getting ip addresses from the asus and the wifi should work ok. If nothing works after this switch up and you cant log in by the local ip you gave it... you will need to use the reset button on the back of the mr3020 to set it back to factory and try again. As I recall from a few years back it was only 2 settings to make this work. (and if I am wrong it wont be more than 3) I had 4 linksys routers filling in wifi coverage holes long before everyone got excited about mesh networks doing the same thing and all were on the same network.

This way all your devices using the mr3020 wired or wifi will be assigned an ip address from the asus and should come up in the network map. I doubt that 3020 will though because at this point its basically a switch with an access point.

On the other hand if you just want the answer to your question get lan ip automatically is the same as "DHCP server" enable disable on DD-WRT

Thanks eastvin, you are correct I need it to fill holes or rather a B/G hole for low level devices.

So actually I need both. The MR3020 only has the one port, I understand it serves as a WAN port (in Router Mode) or a LAN (in AP Mode). There is a toggle switch on the side of the router which defines these modes. There is also a toggle in the S/W for the same, called "Assign WAN Port to Switch". Following the instructions in the link above I did disable the DHCP Server, so it should work as an AP (if it shows up) and the main AC86U Router (should) assign IP Addresses. What doesn't happen (your 2nd Q) is that there appears to be no option in the DD-WRT Setup for "get lan ip automatically". When I put an IP Address in manually (192.168.1.4) the AC86U network map doesn't see it as described above. Cheers k.