What's new

Wired ping spike when pinging router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sorachan

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what went wrong here. I tried pinging AX86U (aimesh router) through AC86U (aimesh node) which is my normal setup.

I get ping spikes like this:

210407143403781.png

210407144244014.png

210407145311096.png

This can go up to 15ms infrequently. To discount computer or cable problem, I connect a laptop directly to AX86U, but I still get ping spikes.

I thought local network should have a consistent <1ms ping, am I wrong?

Last edited:
I think this might be a windows thing, I have 0.2 ms average to my router using a cable and computer with fast cpu(5ghz) and I still have some small spikes aswell. It gets worse with slower pc. And happens on all routers that I've tested.

On a slow laptop connected with a cable I have higher ping than using my desktop with wifi, 0.9ms average on wifi.

Also these routers block pings faster than 1sec interval. And that's bad for testing latency, I like to set 0.1 to 0.5s ping interval.
Installing unbound fixes this, something to do with dnsmasq maybe?

Latency only goes up on wifi if I saturate the bandwidth, and MU-MIMO helps with that from my testing. And of course making sure you have fixed channel, and those scanning features disabled on the wifi client to avoid ping spikes.

Last edited:
Do you happen to run spdMerlin on your router? If you do then you probably will get a ping spike when the router is running a speed test.

Soo, I've left a ping running to the router. Ping interval 0,5sec.

ac86uPing.png

Running speedtest on the router itself doesn't cause ping to the router to spike at all. Tranfering files from USB 2.0 on router at stable 35mb/s doesn't cause ping to spike either, stable 0.2ms.

Completely random ping spikes. Can't find the cause, but I know windows is trash, soo that's probably it :D

This is on a fresh windows 10 install with lastest Intel L219-V drivers. PC has an 8700k at 5Ghz with fast 3600mhz CL15 ram.

Well, I decided to try to run TCP Optimizer with optimal settings and guess what? Not a single ping spike after. I was right, windows is soo bad... They don't care about low latency at all.

I have no idea what fixed it, since that tool changed a lot of settings, but I would be cool to find out.

pingTCPOptimizer.png

Soo, I've left a ping running to the router. Ping interval 0,5sec.

View attachment 32896

Running speedtest on the router itself doesn't cause ping to the router to spike at all. Tranfering files from USB 2.0 on router at stable 35mb/s doesn't cause ping to spike either, stable 0.2ms.

Completely random ping spikes. Can't find the cause, but I know windows is trash, soo that's probably it :D

This is on a fresh windows 10 install with lastest Intel L219-V drivers. PC has an 8700k at 5Ghz with fast 3600mhz CL15 ram.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I downloaded TCP optimizer 4, applied optimal settings, but I'm still having spikes. I don't think TCP optimisation can help with ICMP protocol.

210408004803014.png

I am using AX86U to ping AC86U, I will update the result later, looks promising right now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion.

I downloaded TCP optimizer 4, applied optimal settings, but I'm still having spikes. I don't think TCP optimisation can help with ICMP protocol.

View attachment 32901

I tried using AX86U pinging AC86U, I still get occasional small spikes, better than Windows though...

--- 192.168.2.223 ping statistics ---
99 packets transmitted, 99 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.609/0.730/2.631 ms

Well, that tool fixed it for me, but my spikes were 100% caused by windows. What's your setup? Have you tried to install latest build? With factory reset and jffs format.
A fresh is the best way to try to figure these things out.

Another thing that really helps is to disable Interrupt moderation on the Intel Lan advanced settings. Also make sure you set Windows to High Performance power plan. Laptop power saving BS won't help either.

Last edited:
Well, that tool fixed it for me, but my spikes were 100% caused by windows. What's your setup? Have you tried to install latest build? With factory reset and jffs format.
A fresh is the best way to try to figure these things out.
I'm running a continuous pinging just to make sure the "2.631ms" I got from the earlier test was not an outlier.

After running for over 10 minutes I don't see any ping spike when using one linux router to ping another, I think the issue is most likely a Windows issue...

210408011259868.png

I'm running a continuous pinging just to make sure the "2.631ms" I got from the earlier test was not an outlier.

After running for over 10 minutes I don't see any ping spike when using one linux router to ping another, I think the issue is most likely a Windows issue...

View attachment 32903

Are u using a laptop or desktop? Disable all power saving, set high performance power plan, disable C-states.
On the Intel Lan advanced settings, disable packet aggregation, interrupt moderation.

Are u using a laptop or desktop? Disable all power saving, set high performance power plan, disable C-states.
On the Intel Lan advanced settings, disable packet aggregation, interrupt moderation.
I'm using a desktop, Realtek controller. I don't see packet aggregation or interrupt moderation option.

I also created a Debian virtual machine using VMware inside the windows machine.

--- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics ---
200 packets transmitted, 200 received, 0% packet loss, time 738ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.528/1.073/1.748/0.149 ms

500 packets transmitted, 500 received, 0% packet loss, time 1078ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.620/1.052/1.770/0.102 ms

This looks significantly better than the windows...

Last edited:
I'm using a desktop, Realtek controller. I don't see packet aggregation or interrupt moderation option.

I also created a Debian virtual machine using VMware inside the windows machine.

200 packets transmitted, 200 received, 0% packet loss, time 738ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.528/1.073/1.748/0.149 ms

500 packets transmitted, 500 received, 0% packet loss, time 1078ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.620/1.052/1.770/0.102 ms

This looks significantly better than the windows...

Go to device manager, network adapters. On the advanced settings tab you should see interrupt Moderation.

TCP Optimizer also eliminated the wifi spikes I had. Same computer, AX200 client connected to 5Ghz. Tweaks: Packet Coalescing off, Global BG scan blocking always.
Wifi latency on my desktop is better than my laptop wired :D
wifiping.png

Latency increases a bit when I set windows power plan to balanced, sicne my cpu downclocks. But In-game that doesn't apply as cpu is always fixed at 5ghz, even on balanced. And for the life of my cpu and power consumption I use balanced power plan.
Only thing I disable is C-states.

Last edited:
Running a Speedtest using the router does put a load on the CPU and an even bigger load if you are running a VPN client. I just took a screen shot showing what happens when you start a manual speedtest. May not be your problem but it might have been an issue.

Attachments

• cpu(1).png
    cpu(1).png
    11.3 KB · Views: 98
Running a Speedtest using the router does put a load on the CPU and an even bigger load if you are running a VPN client. I just took a screen shot showing what happens when you start a manual speedtest. May not be your problem but it might have been an issue.

Yes, when cpu gets to 100% or close you get higher latency to router, around 5-6ms in my case. My connection is not fast enough to cause this, soo not a problem for me and I don't use or care about VPN, I want maximum performance with low latency.

Anyway I reverted the TCP Optimizer changes to try and figure out what caused those spikes.
Guess what? Still no spikes, Windows is soo weird. I'm 100% sure using this tool fixed it, but reverting the changes doesn't bring the problem back soo...:rolleyes:

It find it soo strange both me and @sorachan had the exact same spikes, I was on a clean windows install, few weeks old. No tweaks or anything.

Last edited:
Yes, when cpu gets to 100% or close you get higher latency to router, around 5-6ms in my case. My connection is not fast enough to cause this, soo not a problem for me and I don't use or care about VPN, I want maximum performance with low latency.

Anyway I reverted the TCP Optimizer changes to try and figure out what caused those spikes.
Guess what? Still no spikes, Windows is soo weird. I'm 100% sure using this tool fixed it, but reverting the changes doesn't bring the problem back soo...:rolleyes:

It find it soo strange both me and @sorachan had the exact same spikes, I was on a clean windows install, few weeks old. No tweaks or anything.
After further testing, if I connect without Aimesh, I don't have any spike after using TCP optimizer. If I connect with Aimesh node, I have occasional spikes...

I think I will have to live with it.