What's new

Solved Wired speeds slow with three different ASUS WiFi 6 routers, any fixes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is your ISP device in Modem mode or Modem/Router mode? If you don't know, then whats the WAN IP of the ASUS routers you are testing, public (assigned by the ISP) or private (assigned by the modem/router)?

I'm trying to rule out the possibility your ISP doesn't like the MAC address changes. I've seen that before.

I assume its in modem mode? Never heard of it being otherwise. I have swapped routers several times over the past 3 years with the same modem and never an issue until I started to try these AX ones. I am getting a different IP with each router that ends in .res.spectrum.net so I am getting an IP and can use the net just fine, its more knowing that I’m ultimately getting far far less speed with those particular routers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if I missed this info. When you run your tests, is the wired computer the only thing connected to the LAN ports?

Do you have a gigabit switch handy?

Apologies if I missed this info. When you run your tests, is the wired computer the only thing connected to the LAN ports?

Yes I only have one PC that I use direct wired (desktop PC) everything else is wireless (iPhones, MacBook, Rokus, etc.) and I have tried alternating ports on the router as well (it has 8).

No switch on hand, never had the need.

I am getting a different IP with each router that ends in .res.spectrum.net...

Something around the following is not right in this particular setup:

- ISP
- connections
- configuration
- measurement

Yes I only have one PC that I use direct wired

PC NIC drivers issue, not working properly with newer equipment, perhaps?

Something around the following is not right in this particular setup:

- ISP
- connections
- configuration
- measurement

Same ISP I have had for more years than I can count. No changes to any other hardware, just a swap from an AC router to an AX router which results in ridiculously lower wired speeds. Wish I had some other variable to introduce like a new NIC or something that could possibly be a link to the issue but I don’t - same basic setup for years, just wanted to try out an AX series router. [emoji3525]

Drivers are up to date, one of the very first things I made sure of before even getting the router - no updates to wireless apply to me as I don’t use wireless on my desktop PC and the tests I have done using WiFi on it are even worse. I have always kept my desktop PC hard wired in all the years I have had one and this is the first time I’ve been dumbfounded by something like this. I don’t like to give up and I am sure I will be fidgeting around with it again tonight, and again tomorrow if I get the other AX88U from a co-worker to try and see if maybe this was a dud but given two other AX routers did the same who knows.

I see no similar reported issues from other users of same router models, so it's something around the routers.

I searched for RT-AX88U and RT-AX58U slow lan speeds on google and thats what led me here to begin with. Some threads had no activity some had some suggestions that I tried that did not help.

One of the threads -> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-not-wireless-download-upload-speeds-very-slow.49958/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ax88u-very-slow-dl-speeds-running-38-14-modem-known-good.60734/

Some of the others relate to WAN speeds, but came up with my search, will see if I can find the other handful I found.

Last edited:
Few tests then assuming the following is correct: DNS is set the same on both routers, MTU is the same?

1: Ping to google via cmd. Should get the same results from both routers.

2: Tracert to google. Should yield the same results with similar results of pings and number of hops.

Few tests then assuming the following is correct: DNS is set the same on both routers, MTU is the same?

1: Ping to google via cmd. Should get the same results from both routers.

2: Tracert to google. Should yield the same results with similar results of pings and number of hops.

Yes, will try later this evening when home and post results of both.

Adding a bit more info, in case it matters. PC is an ASUS M51 AD with an Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V NIC (I checked Intel's website to confirm there isn't a newer driver for it, and there isn't). Any other information that may be helpful that I can provide I can do so when I get home shortly.

Edit: I checked here --> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/70831/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I217-V

I downloaded the driver that shows as Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 so I am wondering if I should install this, it's dated 1/23/20 and I'm sure my driver hasn't been updated that recently -- I don't imagine it could hurt?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

From that info:

Make sure energy efficient ethernet is disabled on the ethernet adaptor.

Is windows 10 (I assume it's windows 10) on the latest build/ patched and fully up to date as recently as march Microsoft pushed out windows patches that broke networking in a big way.

If windows isn't on build 1909, I suggest you update it first via: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 , grab the november update, then patch windows to latest patch after and test again.

(One of the bigger issues was with laptops roaming to networks would have terrible speed and rubbish dhcp lease response times, which is similar to your situation of swapping routers around)

Thanks for the info.

From that info:

Make sure energy efficient ethernet is disabled on the ethernet adaptor.

Is windows 10 (I assume it's windows 10) on the latest build/ patched and fully up to date as recently as march Microsoft pushed out windows patches that broke networking in a big way.

If windows isn't on build 1909, I suggest you update it first via: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 , grab the november update, then patch windows to latest patch after and test again.

(One of the bigger issues was with laptops roaming to networks would have terrible speed and rubbish dhcp lease response times, which is similar to your situation of swapping routers around)

Energy efficient ethernet is disabled, and windows is latest version (1909). It's not a laptop BTW, it's a desktop PC.

Do we know for sure MTU is the same? It could be fragmenting packets. I have seen MTU cause this kind of issue. The faster the connection the more the impact.

Adding a bit more info, in case it matters. PC is an ASUS M51 AD with an Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V NIC (I checked Intel's website to confirm there isn't a newer driver for it, and there isn't). Any other information that may be helpful that I can provide I can do so when I get home shortly.

Edit: I checked here --> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/70831/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I217-V

I downloaded the driver that shows as Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 so I am wondering if I should install this, it's dated 1/23/20 and I'm sure my driver hasn't been updated that recently -- I don't imagine it could hurt?

I would do this in a heartbeat (with the issues you're having). Make sure you have a copy of the currently installed driver first. :)

I would do this in a heartbeat (with the issues you're having). Make sure you have a copy of the currently installed driver first. :)
Well, that may have done something.. I won't know until I get home and can swap to the AX, but my AC is now getting almost 800 MB down -- I actually didn't think to try a speed test before updating the driver, but I know the ones I did a few hours ago were in the upper 500's to almost 600, so either it's just a placebo effect, or the driver update helped that a bit (or Spectrum may have done maintenance at some point -- who knows). Anyhow, I'll try to swap to the AX later tonight and see if this driver update helps/helped any or if it was just luck of some sort.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/70a75773-d332-424f-9849-a1b24518703c

That was with the speedtest APP on Windows 10 BTW, not the web version.

Also for @Gouldin who requested ping and traceroute to Google -- this is with the AC88U as I am VNC'ing into my home PC to do it -- can't test the AX88U until later tonight but.. this doens't seem ... good... but keep in mind I'm not having any connection/speed issues with the AC88U so I have no idea why it's doing this

Pinging google.com [2607:f8b0:4000:816::200e] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4000:816::200e:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Tracing route to google.com [2607:f8b0:4000:816::200e]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 2605:6000:1015:4077::1
2 10 ms 13 ms 9 ms 2605:6000:a00:3456::1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * *

What are you using for your DNS servers? Automatically (i.e. ISP) or specific ones?

What are you using for your DNS servers? Automatically (i.e. ISP) or specific ones?
CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 for IPV4 and 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001 for IPV6 - same I've always used, just generally never ping or run traceroutes unless I'm having some sort of connectivity issue (which I haven't had with the AC88U, hence no reason to run pings or traceroutes until the request was made to do so).

If you have another router or can borrow a switch, I'd put the switch between your PC and router LAN port. Or between your modem and router WAN port. Disable DHCP on the router that you are using as switch first.

I've seen some routers just not get along with some Ethernet devices that work just fine with other routers. Something in the way auto-negotiation works. Even forcing the speed/mode of the device port didn't help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!