What's new

Wireguard Client for Asus AC-RT3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davetheman

New Around Here
OVPN has recently activated Wireguard connectivity on their U.S.-based servers. Might you have anything in the works to add this connection protocol on the referenced ASUS wifi router?

Not possible, that model's kernel is too old.

Regrettable but Understandable. Thanks for your reply RM - and for the great ASUS firmware improvements you develop!

OVPN has recently activated Wireguard connectivity on their U.S.-based servers. Might you have anything in the works to add this connection protocol on the referenced ASUS wifi router?
hey, that's great: another VPN supporting WireGuard!

Thank you! Would the newer Asus model RT-AX88U be a possible Wireguard client supported candidate?

I suggest you do your own testing of VPN throughput comparing OpenVPN to Wireguard on a VPN app running on your desktop PC. Based on my testing the limits you see on VPN speeds are at the provider's server and they seem to top out using either protocol in the 200- 250 Mbps range. At least this is true when using Astrill.

IMHO the only routers that would benefit speed wise from running WireGuard would be routers that don't have processors that support AES-NI such as the AC86 or AX88.

There maybe other security benefits of WireGurad vs OpenVPN but given that your transmission when using a commercial VPN is only encrypted on a portion of it's path to a destination you have to ask yourself if it really makes any difference.

IMHO the only routers that would benefit speed wise from running WireGuard would be routers that don't have processors that support AES-NI such as the AC86 or AX88.

And none of these run a kernel that supports Wireguard, they're on 2.6.36.

And none of these run a kernel that supports Wireguard, they're on 2.6.36.

[emoji848] waitasecond...
The ac86 runs kernel 4.something I thought.

Oh, you mean the 3100 can’t. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji848] waitasecond...
The ac86 runs kernel 4.something I thought.

Oh, you mean the 3100 can’t. My bad.

I was referring to CaptainSTX's comment that "IMHO the only routers that would benefit speed wise from running WireGuard would be routers that don't have processors that support AES-NI ". Those routers without hardware acceleration are all routers based on 2.6.36.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!