1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Wireguard Client for Asus AC-RT3100

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by davetheman, Feb 17, 2020.

1. davetheman

davetheman New Around Here

OVPN has recently activated Wireguard connectivity on their U.S.-based servers. Might you have anything in the works to add this connection protocol on the referenced ASUS wifi router?

heysoundude likes this.
  2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Not possible, that model's kernel is too old.

Butterfly Bones and L&LD like this.
  3. davetheman

Thank you! Would the newer Asus model RT-AX88U be a possible Wireguard client supported candidate?

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

5. davetheman

Regrettable but Understandable. Thanks for your reply RM - and for the great ASUS firmware improvements you develop!

6. heysoundude

heysoundude Very Senior Member

hey, that's great: another VPN supporting WireGuard!

7. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Part of the Furniture

I suggest you do your own testing of VPN throughput comparing OpenVPN to Wireguard on a VPN app running on your desktop PC. Based on my testing the limits you see on VPN speeds are at the provider's server and they seem to top out using either protocol in the 200- 250 Mbps range. At least this is true when using Astrill.

IMHO the only routers that would benefit speed wise from running WireGuard would be routers that don't have processors that support AES-NI such as the AC86 or AX88.

There maybe other security benefits of WireGurad vs OpenVPN but given that your transmission when using a commercial VPN is only encrypted on a portion of it's path to a destination you have to ask yourself if it really makes any difference.

8. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

And none of these run a kernel that supports Wireguard, they're on 2.6.36.

9. heysoundude

heysoundude Very Senior Member

waitasecond...
    The ac86 runs kernel 4.something I thought.

Oh, you mean the 3100 can’t. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

I was referring to CaptainSTX's comment that "IMHO the only routers that would benefit speed wise from running WireGuard would be routers that don't have processors that support AES-NI ". Those routers without hardware acceleration are all routers based on 2.6.36.

heysoundude likes this.