What's new

[Wireguard] Server creation on AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matssa

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

Before the latest update, I was using WIreguard directly on my router using the amtm addon (server on my router and client on my phone in order to use the home Adguard stuff and DNS and access to my NAS and all).
With the latest version, we can (if I understood correctly), directly create this Wireguard server and configure it. Therefore I made a fresh install of the latest Asus Merlin firmware on my AX88U and tried to configure it. It seemed to work well until I decide to reboot the router and all went to hell.

My router was up, I could access my local network from my local network, however impossible de make my DNS stuff work anymore. I had to deactivate my Wireguard server in order to make everything work again.

Here is how I configured it :
  • No DDNS stuff enabled
  • Noting in VPN Status
  • Nothing in VPN Director
  • In VPN Server, choose "Others" and configured it like below:
  • 1670791047980.png
  • Added my phone as a peer
  • 1670791067359.png
  • Applied all settings and launched the server
When checking the peer stuff, the DNS entry isn't the good one (10.50.1.1 inside instead of my router IP). I can change it directly on my phone but not sure if my server DNS is well set.
Also, the endpoint isn't great, it's using my router's IP-ish (my asus router is behind another router since I have VDSL at home and therefore need to have the other router) and I want to make it use my domain name (xxxx.xxxx.com). Any guess on how to make it?

Thanks again for your help, this could also help others like me :)

maybe worth checking the WG server advanced settings
I would also try again with default IP parameters (it seems you have altered them, default one is 10.6.0.1/32, not 10.50.1.1/24
+ there are instructions here
1670869630546.png

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, didn't even know you could press advanced settings, when I clicked before it didn't want to switch... I also check the Asus stuff before and it isn't really that thorough.

When checking the advanced stuff, you can't change the DNS server, it's by default the IPv4 tunnel IP. Same for the endpoint, it's the IP or DDNS of Asus router.
I just checked and when I turn on Wireguard, my home connection doesn't work anymore, just as if the DNS server (my Adguard Home installation) isn't reached anymore.

Gonna try to change my adguard installation in order to route my router stuff towards it. If it doesn't work, I might just go back using the Wireguard addon that is on amtm.

maybe worth checking the WG server advanced settings
I would also try again with default IP parameters (it seems you have altered them, default one is 10.6.0.1/32, not 10.50.1.1/24
+ there are instructions here
View attachment 46253

Ok so just checked and I configued Aghard home to be the router DNS stuff as well. Activated wireguard server and DNS stopped working for my home network. For me, the Wireguard server uses either the DNS entry for the router (mine is emtpy since I use adgard directly on the router), either the VPN tunnel IP which is kinda strange