What's new

Wireguard VPN Server Halves Download Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cap10Canuck

New Around Here
Apologies if this is old news to everyone, but on my RT-AX86U running 388.1 Merlin f/w, it turns out that activating the Wireguard VPN server effectively halves/caps download speeds. By coincidence I had also moved to a bigger tier (1.5G) at my ISP and assumed the problem was with them <insert red face here>. After some research I determined that activation of the Wireguard VPN server disables Flow Cache, hence the lower speeds. Deactivation restores speed immediately. With both OpenVPN and IPSec server options (as well as Instant Guard) still available to me on the router, I think I'll just leave Wireguard off!

Apologies if this is old news to everyone, but on my RT-AX86U running 388.1 Merlin f/w, it turns out that activating the Wireguard VPN server effectively halves/caps download speeds. By coincidence I had also moved to a bigger tier (1.5G) at my ISP and assumed the problem was with them <insert red face here>. After some research I determined that activation of the Wireguard VPN server disables Flow Cache, hence the lower speeds. Deactivation restores speed immediately. With both OpenVPN and IPSec server options (as well as Instant Guard) still available to me on the router, I think I'll just leave Wireguard off!
This caught my eye earlier…

This caught my eye earlier…

Will await the completion of the backport in a future release! Thanks for pointing this out.

So glad I read back posts before asking the same question. Big bummer but still super glad to be using Merlin!