What's new

Wireguard?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't have any plan to do so, sorry.

Right, it'd be better to go after Asus to have them integrate it in their code, which Merlin can then decide to support or not, like the AiMesh.
I tried it on my desktop machine when a VPN provider was offering a free trial and it worked better than any OpenVPN connection I've used.

Right, it'd be better to go after Asus to have them integrate it in their code, which Merlin can then decide to support or not, like the AiMesh.

It's a balance of performance at the end of the day...

Code here is optimized - so changing things has a give and take...

I tried it on my desktop machine when a VPN provider was offering a free trial and it worked better than any OpenVPN connection I've used.
That is if they update the kernel. So far the only router that has a high enough kernel is the 86.

I travel to China often and wanted several options for a VPN to connect back home. I had been using OpenVPN and Shadowsocks on my ac68u but wanted to give Wireguard a go. The ac68u kernel is too old to support wireguard so I set it up on my HTPC server (standard x86 box) with ports forwarded through the ac68u. Worked pretty well.

I recently picked up an Odroid-C2 and now I've got all three servers on that with ports forwarded through the ac68u. The performance is a bit better for OpenVPN and Shadowsocks than on the router itself. Wireguard is on par with the x86 box.

I understand the reasons for not including all the different servers baked in to the router firmware. Use would be minimal and support for them would be a headache. OpenVPN is a well tested and supported platform. Maybe in the future this will change but for now I'm happy with the current setup. Wireguard performance BLOWS away OpenVPN so it's worth looking at on your own however.

Look at OpenVPN with tls-crypt as an obfuscation method.

Look at OpenVPN with tls-crypt as an obfuscation method.

That's what I use for OpenVPN on both the ac68u and on my Odroid-C2. Works great, even through the Great Firewall. Even then, I sometimes get one VPN method that will suddenly start getting REALLY slow so I switch to another and it's back to normal speed. I read a report on the machine learning AI used in China to try and detect encrypted data that may be a VPN. Even though it can't read the data it profiles it and begins to block.

Still, I've found that streaming Amazon or Netflix from the US in Shanghai hotels is next to impossible with OpenVPN. Wireguard is ~2x - 3x faster and can handle it.

That being said, OpenVPN on the router is much more robust and solid of a platform. I find myself falling back on it often for one reason or another. As Wireguard matures however I expect to see it being used much more based on the improved throughput.

Wow. Just looked up Wireguard to see if there were any changes.

STILL no windows client. No idea why people are still jumping all over this.

@Lost Dog
If you have having issues with speed moving to an RT-AC86U router will solve a lot of that because of hardware encryption in the CPU. 3-4 times faster with OpenVPN.

@Lost Dog
If you have having issues with speed moving to an RT-AC86U router will solve a lot of that because of hardware encryption in the CPU. 3-4 times faster with OpenVPN.

The Odroid-C2 is $45 vs $170 for the RT-AC86U :)

I agree, moving to a different router would be they way to go but in my use case hotel wifi is usually less that 15Mbs (if you're lucky). Moving to the AC86U would be expensive overkill.

The Odroid-C2 is $45 vs $170 for the RT-AC86U :)

I agree, moving to a different router would be they way to go but in my use case hotel wifi is usually less that 15Mbs (if you're lucky). Moving to the AC86U would be expensive overkill.
Hah. OK good point. I got around 40~45 on my old 87.

@RMerlin has been quite clear - if you wish to use WireGuard, you're free to do so on your own if your hardware is up to the task.

Now, if you'd like to use CloudFlare and DoT /DoH and WireGuard together on a device to device basis, you may be interested in clicking https://warp.plus/RDfz

Please search "wireguard" and you'll see similar post on this question/issue. Also, go to the VPN forums and depending on what VPN provider you're using, you may be able to implement wireguard already. Good luck!

@RMerlin has been quite clear - if you wish to use WireGuard, you're free to do so on your own if your hardware is up to the task.

Now, if you'd like to use CloudFlare and DoT /DoH and WireGuard together on a device to device basis, you may be interested in clicking https://warp.plus/RDfz
Link broken
Code:
Dynamic Link Not Found
Short URL (https://warp.plus/RDfz) not found

If you are the developer of this app, ensure that your Dynamic Links domain is correctly configured and that the path component of this URL is valid.

[ATTACH=full]19698[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-27_13-58-19.png
    upload_2019-10-27_13-58-19.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 98
Ah. Apologies. I’ll report the bug to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi:
May be try SSTP from microsof but you can use it on linux mikrotik etc... it works on port 443 :)

wireguard doesnt perform particularly better than other vpn in china in my experience. best thing for me is shadowsocks + openvpn tcp