What's new

Wireless access problems on home network with WHS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrg

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I hope someone can shed some light on my current home network problems, or at least suggest a process of how to identify the issue.

Current setup is a self-built WHS box connected via gigabit to a Linksys WRT610N simultaneous 2.4 and 5Ghz 802.11n router, which in turn is connected to my O2 Wireless II box (802.11g). DHCP is disabled on the Linksys and it is reserved an IP outside of the DHCP range of the O2 box. When working my HTPC connects to WHS via 5Ghz N, various wifi radios and laptops connect via 2.4Ghz N. I keep the O2 802.11g radio on in case there are issues with the Linksys. WHS has the squeezecenter and lights-out addins but no others.

Problem is frequent but seemingly random network problems either accessing the internet or WHS. For instance when I reboot everything all works as planned, then after a few hours I come back, restart the laptop and find I can access WHS but not the internet on the 2.4Ghz network. Sometimes internet access will resume after 10-15 minutes or if I try switching back and forth between G and N networks. Often my Vista laptop reports the networks as 'unidentified' even though it connected happily a few hours before!

Another example after making no changes to the network setup my Logitech Squeezebox Duet in the kitchen can no longer find the WHS despite being connected to the 2.4Ghz network with a decent signal.

During all these problems I can usually rely on accessing the internet via the O2 802.11g network. My tentative conclusion was the Linsys router was flaky. However on connecting the WHS directly with the O2 box internet access via its radio is scuppered and I can't find the WHS on the 802.11g. My next conclusion: WHS is interfering with the router settings via ?uPnP or ?NetBIOS? I have turned of remote access with no change.

This is all becoming hugely frustrating particularly as all seems to work and then without changing any settings on routers or server I get dropouts and access problems!

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on where the problem may lay and how to sort it out. Happy to go through a process of different configurations to isolate the issue.

Cheers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!