What's new

Wireless Channels (80MHz and Channel Selection)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NismoZ

Occasional Visitor
I have read some articles about 80MHz and how channels work, and still trying to grasp this. My EA8500 has a selection for 80MHz, when you select AC Only clients. In my house, I only have AC clients and my others are wired. Guests can use the 2.4GHz band in mixed mode.

I noticed that my Phones AC link went from 400 to 866 as soon as I enabled 80MHz and AC Mode only. That's good right...

Using WiFi Analyzer, I can see that one neighbor network is on channel 44, 112, and 149. I selected 36, because I know lower freqs go through walls better.

Using 80MHz on channel 36, how far does that overlap into other channels? Would I be better using channel 161 because of this?

the issue with setting 80mhz only is that some clients do not run 80mhz and use only 40 or 20 mhz even on 5 gig , so its best to leave the 5 gig set to 20/40/80mhz to ensure compatibility to all your 5 gig clients

I selected 36, because I know lower freqs go through walls better.

not exactly correct at this stage as the lower 5 gig band has lower power output and thus less coverage

Would I be better using channel 161 because of this?

no ch 161 is problematic

you will be fine using ch 153 though and its what i use for testing as it gives the best results of all the higher band channels

btw how are you finding the ea8500 , i have heard good and bad reports on this router but mostly from reviewers and beta testers and not many from the ground floor

Last edited:
the issue with setting 80mhz only is that some clients do not run 80mhz and use only 40 or 20 mhz even on 5 gig , so its best to leave the 5 gig set to 20/40/80mhz to ensure compatibility to all your 5 gig clients

All 802.11AC stations must support 80MHz...

not exactly correct at this stage as the lower 5 gig band has lower power output and thus less coverage

Depends on regulatory certs - newer AP's actually may transmit higher power... note that I say "may"...

no ch 161 is problematic

you will be fine using ch 153 though and its what i use for testing as it gives the best results of all the higher band channels

btw how are you finding the ea8500 , i have heard good and bad reports on this router but mostly from reviewers and beta testers and not many from the ground floor

CH161 should be fine - but again, depends on what part of the world - 5GHz is a bit of a mess - but watch out for the 802.11AC specific channels in a mixed mode environment - CH165 is a good example - it doesn't exist in 802.11n/11a...

I'm also a bit curious about the EA8500 - incidental reports here on SNB have been fairly favorable, but some have run into specific issues...

Hopefully Belkin/Linksys has done a better job of sorting that device than the WRT1900/1200 product line - those devices, because of their rather unique architecture, have been problematic compared to the Broadcom/QC-Atheros based devices that Belkin/Linksys ships these days...

I have read some articles about 80MHz and how channels work, and still trying to grasp this. My EA8500 has a selection for 80MHz, when you select AC Only clients. In my house, I only have AC clients and my others are wired. Guests can use the 2.4GHz band in mixed mode.

I noticed that my Phones AC link went from 400 to 866 as soon as I enabled 80MHz and AC Mode only. That's good right...

Using WiFi Analyzer, I can see that one neighbor network is on channel 44, 112, and 149. I selected 36, because I know lower freqs go through walls better.

Using 80MHz on channel 36, how far does that overlap into other channels? Would I be better using channel 161 because of this?
80MHz will cost you some range / coverage. A phone doesn't need more than 20MHz 11n speeds, as a rule. And 80MHz is in the 5GHz band and that higher freq. costs range.

80MHz will cost you some range / coverage. A phone doesn't need more than 20MHz 11n speeds, as a rule. And 80MHz is in the 5GHz band and that higher freq. costs range.

11ac's link-budget accounts for that...

But I have seen VHT40 in some enterprise deployments to fit frequency plans - and there's still some benefit going with VHT40 vs. HT40...

The EA8500 has been a good router so far. If you follow this thread, there where few issues that seemed to have cleared up with firmware (Linksys is doing a good job at releasing new versions in a reasonable time frame). We'll see how things progress over a few more months.

Sounds like Belkin is hands-off on Linksys.

i think they changed their focus a bit... and some product lines got caught in the middle... doesn't mean they're all bad - just a market focus that I'm no longer part of.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!