What's new

Wireless mesh network system for LARGE home?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
I need to build up a wireless network for a very large home - 16k sq ft if not a bit more. I know I can use Asus routers and AiMesh to cover the entire property like the owner wants, TP-Link and just put the endpoints everywhere, and so many others. The property is single story, with cement/rebar walls, and the walls are thick. At present, there is no wired infrastructure for CAT-5e and I don't know if the owner would want to go that route for wired backhaul.

Budget hasn't been set yet but I imagine they wouldn't veto spending a few k on it if I could justify it. She is also going to want to put Sonos speakers throughout the house.

o_O16K sqft home and you're questioning a few K?
I spent $3K doing my palatial tract home of 2500sqft (single-story), more than a decade ago.
Edit: Why are you thinking Cat 5e, and not 6 (at minimum)?

Last edited:
At the size and level ($$$$$) of the home, wired is not optional.

Do it right, do it once. Spend the dollars needed to make it happen today. Tomorrow, the costs will seem like a pittance.

Definitely go commercial grade equipment, otherwise you will be constantly suppprting it.

If cost is a concern, look at a TP-Link Omada setup using the controller, router, poe switch and poe AP units.

Spend the time and money to set it up right the first time and it will be a system that always works well.

As mentioned earlier, running network cabling is not an option for a house that size.

As mentioned earlier, running network cabling is not an option for a house that size.
My last statement might have been mis interpreted. What I was trying to convey is running network drops to the AP units is the only way to insure trouble free performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!