What's new

Wireless n notebook cards

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kel

Occasional Visitor
I am just about to purchase a new laptop and plan to get wireless n built in card - probably a Intel WiFi Link 5100 a/g/n. - here is a very basic question - will these cards work for both 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz bandwidths? Is that part of draft 2.0 n? Tim mentions in his reviews to make sure you have the same chipset in your notebook wireless as in your router...

802.11n devices are not required to be dual-band, i.e. 2.4 and 5 GHz. However, the Intel adapater is dual band, as denoted by the "a" in a/g/n, which stands for 802.11a. 802.11a is a 5 GHz only standard.

I do recommend matching the adapter chipset to the router's if possible. This is most likely to provide maximum throughput (speed). However, Intel does not provide router / AP chipsets. They are focused on the PC end of things only, hence the notebook adapters.

I can't speak for the Intel adapter's performance because I have not had the opportunity to test it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!