What's new

Wireless-n router whit old outdoor antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

risser

New Around Here
I have just ordered a d-link dir 825, i have a d-link ANT24-1500 outdoor antenna http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=289, and just found out that it only supports b-g wireless. So my question is, will it work at all whit d-link dir 825.

Hope you guys can help me before they send me my order:)

antennas are frequency band dependent (2.4GHz vs. 5.8GHz). The modulation method - 802.11b/g/n in 2.4GHz all can use the same antenna. Don't forget that the coax must be special, big/fat low loss and SHORT.
Best to use an outdoor-use product such as from demarctech.com and engenius.

Beware this: a 2.4GHz antenna rated at 12dBi or more gain, if omnidirectional as the one you show, have a doughnut-shaped very narrow vertical axis beamwidth. Very sensitive to tilt, etc. Typically 7-12 degrees beamwidth. Envision that as a light bulb source with a shaped beam. If you want point to point long links, use a horizontally directional antenna such as patch/panel.

Lastly, don't buy antennas from mass market retailers like D-Link. Much better pricing from antenna-sellers on the internet, such as Laird.

I must add: D-Link products are consistently poor quality, IMO. IMO.

D-Link's web site: This product has been discontinued as of May 01, 2007 in the US

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the help mate, i know it isent the best antenna, but its bought a couple of years ago, only use it in my sommer house:)

Ill go get my router now:)

I have just got my dir825, and its range is =0, atm iam using a old netgear wsg54g router and that reaches to my pc, but not that good, thats why i bought dir 825, but that it cant even find :( How can that be, thougt these new ones was much better? Can it be because this old netgear only has one antenna, and gives all its power to the antena af the roof?
Is there any router that would work better with ANT24-1500 then dir825? My next try would be ASUS RT-N16, any suggestion would be very appreciated.

Again, thanks for the help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!