What's new

Wireless Performance RT-N66U vs RT-AC66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jlsenter1

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,

From gathering test data on these two units running ASUS code, the RT-N66U significantly out performs the RT-AC66U on 2.4 ghz when both appear to use the same radio. I presume this is an driver issue in the RT-AC66U code. With RMerlin's code, 178.15 or RT-AC66U_3.0.0.3_178.16_Beta1 does the RT-AC66U compare more favorably to RT-N66U's 2.4 ghz performance?

Respectfully,
jlsenter

Hello All,

From gathering test data on these two units running ASUS code, the RT-N66U significantly out performs the RT-AC66U on 2.4 ghz when both appear to use the same radio. I presume this is an driver issue in the RT-AC66U code. With RMerlin's code, 178.15 or RT-AC66U_3.0.0.3_178.16_Beta1 does the RT-AC66U compare more favorably to RT-N66U's 2.4 ghz performance?

Respectfully,
jlsenter

I use the exact same drivers on the same devices, so the wireless performance will be the same as if you were running the original firmware (meaning N66U uses the version 5 driver, and AC66U uses the version 6 driver).

Asus is still frequently updating the driver on their new AC66U firmware releases, so I'd expect things to improve over time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!