What's new

Wireless router with dual wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdavis20

New Around Here
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a wireless router which supports dual wan. The only one I can find is Cisco RV340w. Is there any other routers with similar features?
thanks

Asus AC86U and probably others from Asus.
I haven't tryed it myself.

alternatively, get a wired dual wan router (where there are plenty of choices) and connect your existing router to it in AP mode

Asus AC86U and probably others from Asus.
I haven't tryed it myself.
The AC86U does support dual WAN but in my usage case its pretty flakey.

I have VDSL2 modem connected via the WAN port and a USB 4G modem hooked up via USB 3 as backup and upon initial boot it seems to switch between the connections no problems (I use it in failover and fallback modes) but after a while of being booted it fails to failover with the 4G stick stuck in cold standby, if you reboot the router whilst the VDSL is down it will connect via the 4G modem but if its on the 4G for too long it will also get stuck so it wont switch back to the primary WAN. I have it set to ping Google and it correctly detects when the connection is down but it just doesn’t seem to auto switch after its been booted up for a while.

This is on a clean install of Merlin 384.19, hopefully the new 386 firmware may fix this issue.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. the AC86U does not help me as it does not have two Ethernet based WAN.
as suggested by @superczar i am thinking of going down the path or router + AP. Now the search for good wifi 6 ap.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. the AC86U does not help me as it does not have two Ethernet based WAN.
as suggested by @superczar i am thinking of going down the path or router + AP. Now the search for good wifi 6 ap.
The 86U does have 2 LAN based WAN ports. Mine has the option of using the main WAN plus one of the standard LAN ports too.

However as I said above it might not be very reliable anyway.
1598767541033.png

If you're looking for completely turn-key dual WAN, I'd run a Peplink Balance, plus separate, discrete wifi, either using an all-in-one router set into AP mode, or a purpose-built AP. This will let you shop for the best of both worlds, without having to compromise in either area.

If you're looking for completely turn-key dual WAN, I'd run a Peplink Balance, plus separate, discrete wifi, either using an all-in-one router set into AP mode, or a purpose-built AP. This will let you shop for the best of both worlds, without having to compromise in either area.
I did have a look at peplink balance one which does have dual wan + wifi. but the router throughput was rated 400-600 mbps. the other models were significantly higher priced. Have you used peplink? If so I would like to know your feedback on them. Thanks.

a very cost effective option would be Ubiquiti ER-X
throughput is pretty close to a 1000mbps at a fraction of the cost of the peplink

You of course would need separate wireless APs with it though

I did have a look at peplink balance one which does have dual wan + wifi. but the router throughput was rated 400-600 mbps. the other models were significantly higher priced. Have you used peplink? If so I would like to know your feedback on them. Thanks.
I have used Peplink -- the Balance 20, One and now Two -- and they're excellent, especially for reliability, user-friendliness and vendor-direct support. They're also tops for WWAN as well. The price reflects the QA/QC behind the product, plus 24/7 TAC bundled for life.

Sure, you can do the equivalent with your own pfSense box, a UI EdgeRouter, a Mikrotik, etc. etc. for a fraction of the cost. Peplink would be a turn-key option that comes with support for the layperson to do-it-themselves, and know they can stand up a working implementation with no guess work. For some, that's worth it's weight in gold. For others, not so much. All depends on your preferences.

Trip why don't you like the Cisco RV340 series for dual WAN. There are a lot of them out there using cell as a backup. There is also alot of configuration for the dual WAN with different ways to load balance and ways to control banking APPS so it does not flip flop and break security.

Personally since I am not a business I would rather have a faster single internet pipe than 2.

I should have mentioned the RV340 as an option. Decent bang for the buck, especially since they've stabilized more and more of the feature set. I still tend to lean towards Peplink a bit more for certain setups, especially when all the box is doing is primarily multi-WAN and that's it, as I feel the code base is just more well developed for it. That said, if you have to mix in VPN, filtering, etc. then the RVs may be the better buy. Both good tools, both worth consideration.

a very cost effective option would be Ubiquiti ER-X
throughput is pretty close to a 1000mbps at a fraction of the cost of the peplink

You of course would need separate wireless APs with it though
I have the ER-X for dual-wan and I would recommend it as well. It has wizard setup if you don't want to concern yourself with the nitty-gritty

I have the ER-X for dual-wan and I would recommend it as well. It has wizard setup if you don't want to concern yourself with the nitty-gritty

So how does the ER-X load balance? 50/50? based on the internet pipe size? only failover?

So how does the ER-X load balance? 50/50? based on the internet pipe size? only failover?
You can set it to failover only or load balance. You can also set the weight(i.e. 50/50, 70/30) if load balance

Last edited:
If you have ACLs for controlling things like bank connections so they do not load balance then it sounds like it will work.