What's new

Wireless router with good coverage for a large home ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The signal from a router (up to 1W) may reach your client somehow, but how is your client (under 50mW) is going to reply back to the router? You have to use more APs. There is no other way to get better Wi-Fi through brick walls and concrete floors.
Oh yair, I knew in my heart that I probably needed the upstairs access point, which is why I bought a cheap RT-AX58U soon after we moved into this house a few months ago. It's a credit to the RT-AC86U that the internet was borderline usable in that room without using the access point!

Once my WAN connection gets upgraded from 100/40 VDSL2+ to fibre in the new year I will get a bit of cabling done for better, er, access to the access point.

Last edited:
Since we were talking about problems with the RT-AC86U, does this line in the log file just after booting mean anything bad is going on?

May 5 13:05:05 kernel: nand: Could not find valid ONFI parameter page; aborting

This is Powerline adapters kit, not Power-over-Ethernet (PoE).

Sorry, my mistake... I usually call them powerline adapters. No idea why I started writing PoE instead of EoP yesterday!

After reading this thread, I think I got suckered I into buying the ASUS AX86S because of Dong’s posts. I ventured outside of Reddit and felt validated.

After reading this thread, I think I got suckered I into buying the ASUS AX86S because of Dong’s posts. I ventured outside of Reddit and felt validated.

The AX86S isn't bad relatively speaking, just significantly overpriced @ MSRP. IF you paid over $180 USD, then yeah.. not a great value.

I think it's fair around $150 USD price range. Hard to ask for more at that segment.

If youre not enabling SW layer features, performance should be identical to AX86U within 1gbE port limitation (HW tolerances aside). Main dual core A53/RAM isn't leveraged at all.. 100% WIFI SoC accelerated.. has its own 1.5ghz A7.

Last edited by a moderator: